Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got the march pully ,,got couple Qs

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got the march pully ,,got couple Qs

i just got the pully from thunder racing, it came with 2 bolt they are the same lenght, one of them was in a GM back and the another one was in the box with the pully with a LOCK WASHER,,

why is the lock washer

Last edited by silverTA; 05-27-2004 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

do u all think i need to use the washer when i install the pully
Old 05-27-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like Thunder had a brain fart and included something you do not need. Direct from March my pulley came only with a GM bolt. That is all you need to use. I tried to put mine on tonight, and here is my input:
1) Get the longer bolt to install it. I will be looking for one tomorrow, because you will never get a stock bolt started.
2) Ignore the part about immediately using the new bolt. Torque the old one down, and then use the new one for the re-torque. I think I will be using loc-tite though.
3) Don't use the lock washer.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OT: What do you think of the quality of the pulley? How about the weight and craftmanship? Can you post some pics?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

i just installed the pully in my car its good looking pully but it was a F**k B**h to get on,

i couldn't tell if i gain any HP with it. i'll take the car to the track and see.
also my Volts go down when i turn my lights on or my factory radio
Old 05-28-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine came with a new gm bolt, but I ordered an ASP bolt too.

I used the slightly longer ASP bolt to run the pulley up. (It was longer without the supplied washer that is.)

Here's a trick that let me run the bolt in the first few turns without having to turn it hard and risk stripping any threads: While I held medium tension on the ratchet with one hand, I very lightly tapped around the pulley (toward the engine) with a plastic mallet. Every time I tapped the pulley, the bolt would turn a bit, just from the tension I was holding on it.

After the pulley was about halfway on, it was taking a whole lot of torque to run the bolt up. I took the bolt out, put the washer on (with a dab of arp lube), and then it turned a WHOLE lot easier. The bare ARP bolt was biting into the pulley surface.... Couldn't have used the washer for the initial start though, because not enough threads were in.

p.s. It was not a lock washer. (the arp one). The gm one did not have a washer at all.

Last edited by John_D.; 05-28-2004 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added note about no lock washer