Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 HP and Torque questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 HP and Torque questions

I just picked up a rebuilt LQ9 with milled 317 heads and a LS6 cam that I'll be running carburated with mid length headers.

Any idea of how much HP and torque I'll most likely be making? And any recommendations for not to expensive of mods to go a little further?

I want to keep it streetable and not to crazy for now. Never had this much power and don't want to kill myself in the first couple weeks but also want enough power I'm stoked as heck. (Used to have a 300 HP E36 M3) but kind of want to slowly but surely upgrade over time as I learn more and more how to handle it.

It's going in a 72 el camino weighing about 3800 with me in it.

Is it worth it to swap out the LS6 cam for a bigger cam now? I figure it's the easiest time and the gaskets are new now...

I'd prefer more low end torque than anything else.

Please give me some advice on this. I'm a Newb. Been into rock crawling all my life and people help and give advice on pirate (they flame massively to) but if y'all want more people to get into this hobby it doesn't hurt to help the new guy out who's just figuring it out...

Thanks y'all

Last edited by Sonomajoe; 12-31-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Just chevy trucks sells one with the 317 heads and Ls6 cam and the claim it makes the same #'s as the TBlazer SS which i think is 395 hp 400 tq.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

A couple articles that will give you an idea of hp.
Doesn't take much getting that motor to around 400 tq, 400hp
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...#ixzz21ehbAsre
Do a search, quite a few articles on upgrades
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/pro...ngine-buildup/

Quick Reply: LQ9 HP and Torque questions