Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about modified coolant / steam pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Questions about modified coolant / steam pipes

I was wondering if anyone had any insight about the way that I am thinking about running this.

I have a Fast 92, and I always have and always will run coolant to all 4 corners of the heads. I had the original LS1 4-corner setup under an LS6 intake, and a lowered / modified 4 corner setup under a Fast 92 all with the original LS1 valley cover.

I am now trying yet again another way of trying to keep oil out of the intake, so I am using the new design LS6 valley cover. With all the bumps on top the new LS6 cover, I cannot run my factory 4 corner setup anymore.

I was thinking about using the truck / caddy front crossover tube in the rear like this:

Then in the front of the motor, I was going to either modify the front section of a LS1 4-corner one and drill out for a barbed fitting like I have shown and weld the center part shut, or just get an ls6 crossover tube and drill the same part out to add a barbed fitting.

So it would be 2 barbed fittings, both on the driver side, connected with a rubber hose which would go as low as possible against the side of the intake. The whole point is to not add a "Y" split to get both the front and back together before it goes to the radiator.

What I am not sure, is having the 2 upper ports both on the same side of the motor, and both directly on top of the coolant holes on the heads. How would this affect flow? I cannot figure out exactly how these heads flow coolant and I don't want lets say 2 sides trying to go opposite directions and canceling themselves out in the tube.

I would prefer to run tubes under the intake so they are at the lowest position to minimize any chance of air pockets getting trapped. I see some aftermarket setups that have the tubes running extremely high about the intake which I would think would trap air.

Any thoughts? My main concern is flow with everything off to one side and both ports directly on top of the heads coolant holes.

***the brass barbed fittings are just to show the idea, not the actual ones that would be used***

Old 01-06-2015, 07:37 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I would suggest you use the Caddy pipe in the first pic on the rear and front with a Y-block to bring them together.

Coolant flows through these lines pretty strongly so air pockets in them can't really happen.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What Paul said ^^^ use the caddy pipe in the back. The pic you used at the top is my car...

Here is how I tied it all together.

http://https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1738869-crossover-steam-line-help.html

Some more pics from another member I helped do this.

http://https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1744842-conan-steam-pipe-routing.html

Last edited by conan; 01-06-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the replies. That is how I will do it. I was unsure about having the barbed fittings over both coolant holes on the one head.

I will use the Caddy one in the rear, but may still have to chop up the 4 point one and use just the front part since it has the few bends directly where the top corner of the pass head is. I have a special bracket coming out of that head hole that has a return spring attached to the throttle body.

Damn Conan and the guy's motor in that link, those are really beautiful engines. Ignore the one I have pictured, that's not the one in my car, that is just a spare that came from a C6 vette that burned to the ground...

Thank you for the help. Now I hope this LS6 valley with a catch can will do better than 2 cans, pcv valve and an LS1 valley.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
Thanks for the replies. That is how I will do it. I was unsure about having the barbed fittings over both coolant holes on the one head.

I will use the Caddy one in the rear, but may still have to chop up the 4 point one and use just the front part since it has the few bends directly where the top corner of the pass head is. I have a special bracket coming out of that head hole that has a return spring attached to the throttle body.

Damn Conan and the guy's motor in that link, those are really beautiful engines. Ignore the one I have pictured, that's not the one in my car, that is just a spare that came from a C6 vette that burned to the ground...

Thank you for the help. Now I hope this LS6 valley with a catch can will do better than 2 cans, pcv valve and an LS1 valley.

Thanks for the kind words,

There are a few different options for the cross over pipes that might fit the bill for your front ports. I just saw a thread the other day with 4 different kids, (PAUL) posted it so maybe he throw them back up in this thread for you. I'll link them if I come across them.

Edit: found the tread... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...alley-pan.html
Old 01-06-2015, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by conan
Thanks for the kind words,

There are a few different options for the cross over pipes that might fit the bill for your front ports. I just saw a thread the other day with 4 different kids, (PAUL) posted it so maybe he throw them back up in this thread for you. I'll link them if I come across them.

Edit: found the tread... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...alley-pan.html

Thanks for posting that up. I was actually just going to reply and say that I know the thread that you speak of because I posted in it and had to go back and correct some misinformation that I posted. Easy to forget some things when you have had your motor in pieces for the last 7 months.

I think it is going to have to be Caddy tube in the rear, and either the modified front of a 4-point, or an LS6 front to clear my bracket. If I do the caddy in the front also, that would put the hose point on the passenger side and would rather have both connections on the same side so
I can keep the hoses tighter.

Thank you

-mark jr.

Quick Reply: Questions about modified coolant / steam pipes