Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermostat

hey everyone i was wondering if i should get the 160 degree one or the 180 degree one. i live in so.cali too if that helps?
Old 05-28-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

I like the 160. The engine will still heat up to whatever temp you set the fans for but having the lower T-stat just gives the cooling system a little more of a "jump" on taking heat out (so you don't play catchup) because the T-stat is full open at your fan setting (whereas with the 180 it could be half closed till 185-190).
Old 05-28-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A new thermostat is useless without lowering the fan temps. If you dont lower the temps, the coolant just enters the motor earlier, so it takes a little longer to warm up, but the normal running temp will be the same. If someone tells you they noticed a lower temp after the thermostat are lying to themselves. And BTW, when the thermostat says 160 or 180, thats the CLOSING temp, they open much higher. The 160 thermo opens at 175.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
A new thermostat is useless without lowering the fan temps. If you dont lower the temps, the coolant just enters the motor earlier, so it takes a little longer to warm up, but the normal running temp will be the same. If someone tells you they noticed a lower temp after the thermostat are lying to themselves. And BTW, when the thermostat says 160 or 180, thats the CLOSING temp, they open much higher. The 160 thermo opens at 175.
The fan temps come into play when you're driving in slow traffic or sitting in a staging lane. When you're up to speed on the highway the fans don't come on generally, because the air flow through the radiator is keeping the temp down to the thermostat temp.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by John_D.
The fan temps come into play when you're driving in slow traffic or sitting in a staging lane. When you're up to speed on the highway the fans don't come on generally, because the air flow through the radiator is keeping the temp down to the thermostat temp.
......a car that was always moving (ex: circle track car) does not even need fans. Fans are only for when your not moving. When in motion 45MPH+, they shouldn't even kick on if the cooling system is working right (mine don't). Thus, even if your fans are set to come on a 210, if you have a 160 t-stat you will take the temps below 210 because of the forward motion of the car pushing air through the radiator.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasnt talking about when the car is moving... the fact is, a lower t-stat will not lower the motor temps AT ALL when not on the freeway. If you drive around the car in the city, then get on the freeway, the temps will be the same as normal. If you drive one minute then get on the freeway, the temps will be lower than normal and stay there. The only way a 160 t-stat will yeild noticible lower motor temps is if you are driving on the freeway and get on the freeway before the motor has time to completely warm, like before the t-stat opens, or right when is opens. If it lowers the temps any other time, it is some kind of anomaly.

Originally Posted by John_D.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Teching In

so should i just keep the stock stat and change when the fan turns on or should i get the 160 stat and change when the fans turn on?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard mixed reviews on the 160 on the v6 cars. I went with a 180 on the v6. Using autotap my temps dropped from 195 to 180-182 with it, at 40mph and up.

I have a new 180 to put in the v8 swap, but I'm planning to re-shim it to 170. I'm also planning to change the car to a front breather rather than a bottom breather, by replacing the front grille. (my Passport runs a 170 stock, and the temp never climbs in it unless I'm sitting still, anything above 15mph and it cools off, and it gets the air from the front, seems to work pretty good....)

Haven't heard anything bad about 160's in the v8 cars. (except maybe the heater doesn't get as hot in the winter, depending on what part of the country)

Whichever thermostat you get, I would have the fan speeds changed or put in a fan switch and kick the fan on manually when you need it.

Last edited by John_D.; 05-28-2004 at 11:18 PM. Reason: added one note
Old 05-28-2004, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
...And BTW, when the thermostat says 160 or 180, thats the CLOSING temp...
It's amaizing the simple little (but important) things I've learned here.