Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on race mufflers directly on headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on race mufflers directly on headers

Hey I recently took my camaro ss off the street and am turning it into a drag only car. I have pacesetter lts currently but am going to get speed engineering 1 7/8 race headers and am thinking of putting race bullets directly on headers with turn downs. Wondering how that will sound and power? Anyone with similar setup?
Old 01-13-2015, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

itll be pretty freakin loud im sure.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Agreed. Crazy loud. At least run turn downs facing out to help on sound a little. Your ears will be ringing.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 01-13-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a huge fan of loud, so I'd be all for it. I know there was a considerable sound difference driving around with open headers before I got my Texas Speed True Duals on.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Launching!

I drove around 3 months like this without turndowns at the end to work and back everyday. When the car starts up kind of sounds like a farm tractor but once you get going its unique but still perfer the sound the car now has with the X-pipe on. My setup for those 3 months was Kooks 1 7/8" long tubes with classic chambered powersticks band clamped to the end. Because the Kooks headers tuck up so nice under the car the left side muffler would vibrate the floor board. Driving on cold mornings was entertaining the exhaust vapor would rise along the side of the car at the mirrors meanwhile all the other cars at the traffic lights are coming out of their tailpipe.

Last edited by DaSkinnyGuy; 01-13-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks for input. Pretty much driving car onto the trailer and the once I get to the track everything is loud so I should be good. My old setup had a ypipe with 2 cut outs but just got soo tired of lousy fitment and low clearance. I know the free flowing will be a plus, last time when I had the car on dyno, I gained 8 rwhp with the cut outs open. Just have to find some stainless turndowns now, kinda hard to find them that aren't crazy expensive .
Old 01-13-2015, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I want to do bullets off the headers, just drive it enough on the street that I won't. But when it happens it's going to be collector muffler with oval tubing and come straight out by the rocker!

Quick Reply: Opinion on race mufflers directly on headers