Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True dual and a tunnel mount torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True dual and a tunnel mount torque arm

When I first had the idea to do true dual on my car most people said it couldn't be done with a tunnel mount torque arm. I was able to do less than perfect 2.5" duals with my last short torque arm, but not 3". I switched to a Midwest Chassis short torque arm with their true dual cross member. Here is the 3" dual exhaust I just had made for my car by RPM -Redline Performance Manufacturing here locally. The mufflers are Magnaflow 4x9 #11219 3" center in and out. Everything fits together perfectly, sounds great, nice deep rumble, not very loud at idle or cruising, really comes alive at WOT. The exhaust tucks up nice and tight has good ground clearance.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The midwest chassis tunnel mount and BMR new tunnel mount can run true duals. But there isn't an off the shelf system like ours that can be run with it. I will be testng the new BMR piece on my own Trans Am to see if it will clear our true dual system. The set up looks good man! They did a good job.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 01-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Nice setup! I've got the old style BMR tunnel mount, but seeing this makes me want to switch so I can run duals.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can run a true dual setup with a tunnel mount tq arm setup if you run a tq arm crossmember with the drop down for exhaust, and put the x-pipe in the drop down, then run both pipes on the passenger side of the driveshaft. I've seen it done several times that way. Its the same design that Kooks uses on their true dual setup except you don't have to run it all the way over the axle. I am thinking of tryin it out soon on my car with an xpipe and dual sweet thunders. I bought two 18" ST bullets with the 2 3/4" cores and am gonna try it with my Spohn Tunnel mount tq arm.

Check out this pic...

Last edited by moeZ28; 01-15-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are custom building a true dual setup you can get it to work with most tunnel mounted torque arms as you can put the x-pipe right where the crossmember is for optimal clearance. The problem with tunnel mounted torque arms like the Spohn and UMI is that none of the off the shelf true dual setups will work with them and they have clearance issues due to the crossmember running under the exhaust. We fixed this issue with our tunnel mounted torque arm as we run the crossmember above the exhaust so you don't have those exhaust clearance and ground clearance issues.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
The midwest chassis tunnel mount and BMR new tunnel mount can run true duals. But there isn't an off the shelf system like ours that can be run with it. I will be testng the new BMR piece on my own Trans Am to see if it will clear our true dual system. The set up looks good man! They did a good job.

Lonnie
Lonnie,

I will give you a call later on so we can get one of our new BMR tunnel mounted torque arms on your car.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

I did it without a X junction. It's a cool concept but don't see it as a nessesity.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

The x-pipe merge helps scavenge and increase exhaust flow velocity increasing power. You're losing power with no merge.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

I know what the concept of a X junction is for. And ran a that kind of set up with a Spohn body mount Tq arm before. I was just H/C and going for a max setup. Your set up looks great. But for mine going to just dual I saw no improvement at the track.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the over x member will not clear all dual setups. With my bassani system the bmr would have still hit the x. Its really best to measure or try a test fit. The bmr is a nice piece especially with the bigger bushing in front. I had to go with an MWC double drop to clear it on mine though
Old 01-19-2015, 09:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Lonnie,

I will give you a call later on so we can get one of our new BMR tunnel mounted torque arms on your car.
Sounds good man!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 01-19-2015, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good man!
I would believe if you made a slightly modified version of your Rumbler X True dual setup that resembles the pic I put up in post #4 that would work for typical tunnel mount setups, I'd think it would sell pretty well. Not sure how cost effective vs profit having 2 versions would be though.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Also interested in the TSP/BMR set up. Vendors give me a discount and I will purchase these today and will have them on as soon as I get them. Hehe.
Already have the car in the air.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My TSP true dual exhaust DID fit with the true dual short tq arm from MWC. Had no clearance issues whatso ever. Car was also lowered and still had good clearance
Old 10-23-2016, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Lonnie
I'm not sure what you mean by this, your off the shelf duals fit my short torque arm set up from Midwest chassis just fine. Your first statement and the bolded statement are confusing. I have no clearance issues with your duals and the Mwc crossmember. My duals have great clearance with the ground as well

Older thread but I wanted to input.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
I'm not sure what you mean by this, your off the shelf duals fit my short torque arm set up from Midwest chassis just fine. Your first statement and the bolded statement are confusing. I have no clearance issues with your duals and the Mwc crossmember. My duals have great clearance with the ground as well

Older thread but I wanted to input.
Thank you for the update. There are now two systems that currently fit our TSP true duals, BMR makes one as well as Midwest Chassis. I put the BMR torque arm on mine and we determined it needed spacers for the cross member which are now included in their kit. It works amazing! I absolutely love it!! All of the perks of a short torque arm but without the harsh ride of spherical rod ends for a street driven car.

Lonnie
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900

Last edited by Sales3@Texas-Speed; 10-24-2016 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: True dual and a tunnel mount torque arm