Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which water pump for a 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which water pump for a 6.0?

just wondering which water pump i should go with for a 6.0L LQ4? just a factory replacement or is there an upgraded version? also, does anyone know what the stock thermostat is 160 or 180?
Old 01-17-2015, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with whatever fits your front acc'y drive, stock pump is fine. IIRC, the factory t'stat is around 210°...
Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

O'Reilly carries 187 and 160. I think stock vehicles may hover around 200-210 because the fans are likely set to turn on at a higher temp than the thermostat opening, but I believe 187 to be factory or close enough.

If you are only racing the thing, 160. If you want your heater to work well in very cold weather, 187. If you go 160, you will likely need some tuning tweaks for times when it is cold outside and the early thermostat opening can cause the engine to not reach factory operating temps. Then again, with the fans turning on at the factory temp, the last bit may not be a big concern.

Just make sure you get the truck length pump if that is the accessory setup you have (offset from block; truck accessories "stick out" further). Cars are shorter. Truck setup is same length as LS3/car nowadays though I am unsure if everything is in the exact same place(inlet/outlet). If you've converted to a different accessory drive, you should know what to get.

Edelbrock makes a "high flow" version as expected, and Maziere(sp?) and Moroso make electrics but I'd stay away from electric on a DD car for simplicity.

To me, unless you are going max effort, I would be happy that a ~$100 reman is going to perform well for your car and spend the extra $$ somewhere else. Others may have differing opinions/experience though.

Last edited by Mercier; 01-21-2015 at 07:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Which water pump for a 6.0?