Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring coils to toggle switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring coils to toggle switch

I want to wire my coils to a toggle switch. I would run a basic toggle switch and relay circuit, with the power wire going to the positive terminal on each of the two coil connectors. Is there any harm in doing this?
Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ummm, WTH for?
Old 01-16-2015, 10:28 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like you're making a kill switch. What vehicle is this for?
Old 01-16-2015, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I don't see how it could hurt anything. Relays are pretty good at sending a clean power source through a circuit as long as it's rated for what you're trying to accomplish.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're wanting to do this for a kill switch it would be easier to wire it to the fuel pump instead of coils. It would be really easy to splice into a fuel pump "hotwire kit".
Old 01-23-2015, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

One thing you never want to do is cut ignition without cutting fuel. If you cut off only the ignition the exhaust fills with mixed unburned fuel, when the ignition comes on you will have a explosion in the exhaust. Even a few seconds of no ignition with the engine running will fill the exhaust with perfectly mixed fuel, You can guess the rest.

I built a portable power unit with a 500ci caddy engine a long time ago. It was used to turn large fans in the field to test dampers for coal fired power plants. The fans only turn 1800-2200 rpm max so I used a rpm tach that gets connected to the coil that starts cutting out ignition near the preset rpm. Well it never mentioned the disaster that follows cutting off the ignition but not cutting off fuel. The 1st time it hit the rpm limiter THE ENTIRE EXHUAST BLEW OFF THE POWER UNIT. It was so loud and crazy we had no idea what the hell just happened. Luckily no one was hurt, I unhooked the coil control and never used the rpm limiter again.

The factory rpm limiter uses the timing pulling it back as you get near the rpm limit then if it's still not enough it starts pulling fuel.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 01-23-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a great story.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I had a friend that had an old truck and he would turn off the ignition while driving pump the gas and then turn it back on. It would sound like a bomb going off. Truck was manual. He would probably get arrested today. He did finally blow the muffler off.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I had a friend that had an old truck and he would turn off the ignition while driving pump the gas and then turn it back on. It would sound like a bomb going off. Truck was manual. He would probably get arrested today. He did finally blow the muffler off.
LMAO, We did that as teens all the time back in the early 70s with 50s/60s cars, specially to scare people walking on the footpath
Old 01-30-2015, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
LMAO, We did that as teens all the time back in the early 70s with 50s/60s cars, specially to scare people walking on the footpath
We used to do that all the time...you can even do it with quadrajet cars like old Caprices and whatnot...we used to wind up blowing the mufflers right off of cars.

OP, wire your switch into the PCM power supply instead of the coils or injectors. Then you have everything you need killed, safely.

Quick Reply: Wiring coils to toggle switch