Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump-Thermostat-Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump-Thermostat-Radiator

2001 Camaro Z28--

Replacing the water pump and thermostat on my LS1 and just want to confirm i have the correct parts--

I am replacing because the Outlet Coupler on the water pump blew out of the water pump-- I am going thru Oreillys -

Pump-- http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1398&ppt=C0331

Thermostat-- http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3442&ppt=C0331

Radiator -- http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...yword=radiator

On the rad do i have to worry about plugging where the trans fluid would go in on the side tank? --They Offered 2 and the pics look the same-- Looks like the only difference is the way it mounts--cradle to saddle--

TIA
Rob
Old 01-20-2015, 08:06 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

Let's stick this here in the external engine place. Internal is for pistons & stuff.

All the parts you linked to look correct.

If your car is a stick car, you can leave both trans cooler fittings open.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Cool... Thanks for the welcome...
Old 01-21-2015, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When running a radiator with provisions for an automatic transmission(cooler) but not hooking it up, you don't need to worry about anything coming out of the cooler in/out on the rad. When in use, you don't want the transmission fluid and coolant mixing so no coolant is going to come out there and it will come empty unless used and returned..and you don't want that anyway. If it comes with actual barbs sticking out You might put a couple of $0.25 nipples on them to keep from busting your knuckles on them in the future and to keep junk out of there in case the rad ever were to be used with an automatic. If threaded holes, most stores sell little rubber stoppers to stick in there. Also lends a more proper look instead of having something "not hooked up."

Those look like the right parts. At a certain point, unless you buy GM parts($$$), you have to trust the computer system at the parts store to give you the right part. Their part #s will change occasionally and you can google those part numbers and see if another site corroborates the vehicle/year/model fitment but LS1 stuff is so popular that I've found the parts fit. Sometimes obscure stuff they can have wrong but LS1 is far from that.

Good luck with your project. When you say it "blew out," did the gasket start leaking or was there some actual physical failure?
Old 01-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Teching In

No gasket leak... Just the pressed coupler blew out....the car had "green" coolant from previous owners... I think I am going to flush it out and refill w orange..dexcol
Attached Thumbnails Water Pump-Thermostat-Radiator-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Water Pump-Thermostat-Radiator