Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone add cats to ORY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Anyone add cats to ORY?

I used to like the tone of the exhaust on my car when it was factory manifolds and a flowmaster cat back (I know everyone hates flowmaster but I still liked the sound). Since going to headers and ORY and a magnaflow cat back I am not a big fan of the sound. Added a Powerstick to the I pipe to get rid of rasp and probably 85% is gone. Thinking about adding cats to Y pipe. So if you've done it, how has it changed your exhaust tone and are you pleased with it? Also, did you notice any drop off in performance? Thanks
Old 01-29-2015, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added cats to my setup (I also have a Magnaflow catback) and they cut out 99% of the rasp, and 99% of the exhaust fume smell as a bonus. It didn't really do much to change the tone or loudness of the exhaust, maybe made it sound a *little* deeper/quieter? Not much of a change though besides eliminating the rasp. As far as power loss goes, I gained 11rwhp after installing the cats and going from 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" headers, so I doubt they really hurt performance much.

You can pick up some good high flow cats on eBay for cheap (I think they're called Thunderbolts?), just make sure they're metallic spun and you'll be set.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I added magnaflow cats to a kooks ORY. It was easy. I put them right on the end of the header and cut the Y pipe. I had to take the Y to a muffler shop and expand the one side of the Y since it is crushed a little from the factory for clearance but I don't think the TSP is so you should be good to go.

I had similar results to 02drop. One of the best things I ever did to the car.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What kind of ORY pipe are you running OP? The quality of the merge in the pipe is crucial to flow, sound and tone

Quick Reply: Anyone add cats to ORY?