Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running like crap after fast 92 install

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default running like crap after fast 92 install

Installed my fast 92 intake few days ago. I also did the pcv delete with the ls6 valley cover, ebay 92mm tb, new valve cover gaskets, and ls6 coolant cross over with block offs in the rear. The first day after install the car ran great was strong, much better than the ls1 intake. Took it to work the next day ran good on the way there on the way home my throttle stuck open a little so i turned off the car coasted to the shoulder closed the throttle body by hand and drove it home without issue. Now the car idles terribly sounds and feels like its missfiring however I have no engine light. No vaccum leaks that I have been able to find either. Im running stock descreened maf, and stock fuel system. The car smells like its running incredibly rich. Anyone have any ideas? The weather is awful and im really trying to get my build done before OCMD.

Food for thought I bought the ebay throttle body knowing common issues with them. I ported and polished it some to get rid of the binding the throttle blade had and i also had to mill out the hole for the iac and tps like many others have. I know people that have run these throttle bodies without issues but ive also read horror stories. My opinon is if the throttle body were the issue i believe the car wouldve ran terribly from the first start and not started 100 miles later.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So you didn't get a retune?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Nick Williams ran okay at first but then started acting up as well. Just got it remedied yesterday. Can you be more specific in the car's manners? Does the idle hang when you give it gas? Does it do the 'cruise control' in gear where it won't coast down to idle?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
So you didn't get a retune?
not yet but again i believe if the tune was the issue it wouldve ran like crap from the start. I didnt beat the car just drove it around because it hasnt moved in months and it was a nice day.
Originally Posted by newchevyman
My Nick Williams ran okay at first but then started acting up as well. Just got it remedied yesterday. Can you be more specific in the car's manners? Does the idle hang when you give it gas? Does it do the 'cruise control' in gear where it won't coast down to idle?
It runs like it has a serious misfire, a lot of vibration real rich smell. Bucks and studders wants to stall out. Like i said I have no engine light at the moment
Old 02-19-2015, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just throwing this out there, did you re check the bolts on the intake?
Old 02-19-2015, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I basically reinstalled it there aren't any vac leaks that I can find
Old 02-20-2015, 07:11 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how are you checking for vac leaks? I've read that some people have a problem with the tb making a good seal to the intakes. the oring pooches out the bottom sometimes.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How's the map sensor look?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:09 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The car does some relearn procedures with the LTFTs that could be making it run rich. The extra air coming in most likely leaned out your STFTs and after 100 miles the car "relearned" and went a bit richer. You also need to adjust your RAF table to account for the pressure drop the larger TB provides.

Do a TPS relearn as well. If the TB stuck open and you closed it by hand, the TPS might be reading a bit off, though it reads the lowest voltage as idle, so even if it was reading 1.2V or something and you shut it and it's at .55V or something now, it'd see .55V as idle. Still worth a shot.

And if you ported out the IAC port and cleaned up the binding issue, sounds like it's less TB related and more tune related or an issue with a vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

After I did my intake I had multiple vacuum leaks pretty much just from moving around and disconnecting hoses that have been connected for fourteen years without being touched. I ended up having to get a new MAF to Throttle body accordion hose, new EGR grommet (assuming to kept it), and a couple other hoses that I replaced or put hose clamps on because they didn't reseal correctly or were looking bad.

I think going and getting it smoke tested for vacuum leaks would be a good idea to try and narrow it down.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can almost garantee your issue is that pos tb. If its binding your tps is probably not 0%, that causes issues, also I bet the iac is undersized
Old 02-23-2015, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
not yet but again i believe if the tune was the issue it wouldve ran like crap from the start.
That's a dangerous assumption to make since it sounds like you've never done any tuning before in the past.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Installs 92mm FAST intake and 92mm "fleabay special" throttle body on LS1 without a tune and wonders why it runs like crap
Old 02-23-2015, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redtan
Installs 92mm FAST intake and 92mm "fleabay special" throttle body on LS1 without a tune and wonders why it runs like crap
i know many people who have ran the ebay throttle body without issues.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

My vote is the throttle body. Once it was stuck it ran bad after that.

Quick Reply: running like crap after fast 92 install