Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 in '96 Trans Am? Can it be done?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb LS6 in '96 Trans Am? Can it be done?!

I have a '96 Trans Am with a regualr 5.7L 350 LT-1; I want a little bit more power under a decent budget. My buddy of mine has a fully complete LS6 in his shop, just sitting there. He told me he'll sell it to me, but we haven't spoke about a price yet. My questions is, can a LS6 bolt right up to a '96 4L60E that was originally designed for a LT-1? Also, can the swap be done? I'm 20 years old & in college. I have never swap an engine before, but I'm curious and excited to do it. (my friend is mechanically inclined, so he'll be helping me.) What would it take to make this swap happen? I know it's an LS6, from the casting number I ran on the internet a few months back. Any thoughts & opinions are welcomed. Thank you!

Last edited by LTX_Alex; 02-24-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:11 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

No, your tranny won't bolt up to the LS6. Almost any kind of swap is possible with enough skill and money, but you'll need PCM, wiring harnesses, fuel lines ... and that's just for starters.

Check and search the Conversions and Hybrids forum for more info.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:36 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Did a search for you ... this will give you a general idea of what you're looking at; there are some variables, of course. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-lsx-swap.html
Old 02-25-2015, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Short answer yes it can be done.

It's not going to bolt up and be able to use any of your other stuff though.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Default ls6

Yes this swap is definitely possible. Been done a lot. And yes the LT1's 4l60e can be used. A spacer kit between the flexplate and converter would be needed though as there is a ½" diffrence. There is also a gm flexplate kit that can be used to do this as well but idk the part # off hand. You'll also need wiring, PCM, ls1 kmember and motor mounts/stands, ls1 steering rack, ls1 steering u joint, ls1 f-body accessories (unless they come with your motor), and PCM flash to name a few. Conversions and hybrids forum is your best friend here.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Great, I'll take all of your opinions into consideration. I'll start looking into it to gain more info. I'll keep everyone posted on what I will do.

Quick Reply: LS6 in '96 Trans Am? Can it be done?!