Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Questions and Opinons PLEASE

Old 03-01-2015, 02:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PCV Questions and Opinons PLEASE

Hey guys got a question what do i need to do about the pcv?? I finally got my engine together in my 59' Belair lsx swap with the cam, springs, ls6 intake and headers thats it for performance... but i also got these billet tall fabricated valve covers and they do not have any vents or any provisions for PCV??

My 2 ideas was
1. drill and tap each valve cover and run braided hose to a common vented catch can

2. Buy the billet universal pcv valves that go into the rubber grommets on the valve covers (old sbc style with the 3/8 hose nipple on them) and drill holes and install them on each valve cover and then hook the lines to the vented catch can???

Whats your thoughts i will not be drag racing the car or anything but im sure ill get on it from time to time i had heard the the venting and pcv system was a mainly a performance upgrade but i am new to LS engines so please enlighten me this is the only thing i am waiting on to finish my swap.... and the more i read the more i get confused it seems everyone is doing or recommending something different but they all think their setup is the best route???
thanks for any help

i have most all the wires tucked away and alot of billet upgrades so i am trying to keep under the hood as clean as possible
Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd run a fresh air inlet on the passenger side valve cover(front half), a dirty air outlet on the driver side valve cover(rear half) going into a pcv valve then the catch-can or a CC with installed pcv valve with NO breather filter, then back into the pcv/vacuum port on the passenger side of the intake manifold. I'd also mount the catch-can up front somewhere on either the right or left side of the radiator for a cleaner/less cluttered look on the engine. This will help by continuously pulling fresh air in and dirty air out minimize blow-by contaminates within the crank case and oil resulting in longer oil life. If you just add a breather filter you'll end up with a oily mess under the hood, and you'll need to change your oil more frequently since a lot of the combustion blow-by contaminates will settle in the engine oil, instead of being removed.
So, what's make/model of the aftermarket valve covers you have ?

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-01-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i ended up ordering these early this morning so Ill try it with a few different configurations...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-440308/overview/
1 for each valve cover and then my catch can is vented so i will try hooking them up just from each of these valves to the catch can and if that doesnt work properly then i can remove the filter from the top of the catch can and run a line to the TB for vacuum

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCV Questions and Opinons PLEASE