Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I took my intake manifold out

Old 03-01-2015, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I took my intake manifold out

As title says, I removed my manifold in order to do a PCV swap. Current system is shot, needs to be redone, yada yada yada. That's not the topic of this post. I had two questions. Number one: while I have it all out, is there ANYTHING (reasonable) I can replace/upgrade/modify to make the car run better? It was a huge PITA to get that thing out, and I don't want to have to go through the experience again any time soon. I already have a new OPSU, so that's taken care of. Anything else I should do while I have the opportunity?

Second question: I broke something while I was pulling it out. Well, it may have already been broken. Not sure. Point is, it's broken. I've sent pictures to my dad, who's worked on cars for 30+ years, and he showed it to an LS1 aficionado he knows. Neither of them have any idea what it is. I'm really hoping someone here can help me out.

This is the part that broke off. It has two little hoses coming off it. One ran to another unidentified part, picture to follow. The other ran to an electrical connector that plugged into the back of the manifold. The connector had two hoses running from it, the other stretched around by the passenger side and I couldn't follow it. One side of the piece says "DELCO REMY", the other side says "DR272". I googled that, and got "Condensor, Ignition". Which is no help to me.

More views of the same part.

This is the part it broke off of. That's really the best view I could get of it. It's deep under the cowl on the driver side. That little hose on the top is where the first part broke off.

So... does anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-01-2015, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing you need do with your OE intake unless you swap a better one on.
The second issue you asked about is just the AIR injection system for your car emissions. Most of the time, this system is yanked out anyway.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

We'll assume this is a Camaro or Firebird?

It's part of the A.I.R. system. Many have it removed but to do so you'll need it tuned out from the PCM.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-threads.html
Old 03-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Shoot, I apologize for not including the car. I kinda spaced out. Yeah, it's an '02 Camaro Z28.

I'll be putting a new exhaust on the car in a couple weeks, and will be getting it tuned then. Would it be safe to drive it for a week or two with no AIR system, untuned? How difficult is it to rip out?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That small plastic line that runs to the back of the intake is a vacuum line, if you remove the solenoid (that part you're holding) you'll need to plug that line otherwise you'll have a vacuum leak.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by patSS/00
That small plastic line that runs to the back of the intake is a vacuum line, if you remove the solenoid (that part you're holding) you'll need to plug that line otherwise you'll have a vacuum leak.
Alright, thank you. What are the implications of removing that line?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removing the AIR will cause a check engine but the car will be fine just get it tuned out when you get the chance. Nothing to stress over. Plug the vacuum line with a cap from an auto parts store and you'll be fine.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:13 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The PCM does an occasional test of the A.I.R. system. During the test, it looks for a change in the upstream O2 sensors. No change, the test fails and lights the SES light.

When you have it tuned for the new exhaust, have the test tuned out.

Until then, it's OK to drive it with the system disabled but be aware the light will be on because of it. It will not cause any running issues.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Default Update

Finally got it done last night.

Everything that came out of the car. I'm pleased with how much cleaner it looks now. Waiting on block off plates, then I can start re-assembling it. In the meantime, I'm a little concerned about my heads and ports:

Should I be concerned? I tried getting some of the caked oil out of one of them, but it's really on there. Would need a wire brush, then I risk knocking it into the engine. There was definitely oil getting in there and under the valley cover, my knock sensors and the wiring harness are shot. I accidentally shattered one of the connectors pulling it out.
So... should I be concerned and do something about this, or just leave it for now?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Unless you are pulling your heads I would leave it be. If you clean that gunk up while the heads are installed that gunk has only one way out...into your cylinders.

The PCV valve is the reason that gunk is in there. Run a catch can with your PCV system and that will stop most of that build up from happening.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:24 AM
Teching In

I already have a PCV can on order from Mighty Mouse, will be getting it in about 3 weeks. I'll leave it for now, then. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not exactly sure if it's worth getting your car tuned for just an exhaust, unless you're getting it really cheap or for free. i would at least wait to pay for a tune until you have full exhaust done how you want it done & all of your intake upgrades done
Old 03-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Is that the logical next step after exhaust? Intake manifold/TB/MAF? Gonna be awhile before I can get the cash for that after shelling everything out for my exhaust.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:34 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamer0364
Is that the logical next step after exhaust? Intake manifold/TB/MAF? Gonna be awhile before I can get the cash for that after shelling everything out for my exhaust.
I did an intake and ported TB, but left MAF stock - descreened. Runs fine like that. The way your heads looked under the intake is the way mine looked. MadFirehawk86 is right - if you try to clean it in place, it goes into your engine. I ended up pulling the heads - made a good excuse to port them "to make sure they are clean".

Since you already did the PCV swap, you have addressed most of the root cause. THe catch can will do the rest.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Would it be worth the time and effort to get the heads pulled and cleaned/ported?
Old 03-17-2015, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gamer0364
Would it be worth the time and effort to get the heads pulled and cleaned/ported?
Once it is back together maybe running a treatment of Seafoam through it would be able to clean up most of that?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

It's up to you. I used it as an excuse. I had already wanted to port for power.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pull heads if you want to get some work done to them - not worth effort imo unless that is the case ... otherwise, as stated above, seafoam works wonders - cleans better than most believe or realize i would say - DEFINITELY does work/clean (its not some gimmicky product).
Old 03-17-2015, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Alright, Seafoam it is. Thanks for all the tips guys.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SkWiDsTyLe321
pull heads if you want to get some work done to them - not worth effort imo unless that is the case ... otherwise, as stated above, seafoam works wonders - cleans better than most believe or realize i would say - DEFINITELY does work/clean (its not some gimmicky product).
I was convinced to seafoam my 98 Avalon (160k on the clock) after I took the intake off to change valve cover gaskets. The intake was pretty badly caked with old oil residue to the point you could not see any internal metal surface area. During the seafoaming process and the drive you are supposed to do there after caused the car to smoke substantially (which is normal). I have not had the intake back off since but have piece of mind that those surfaces areas are a heck of a lot cleaner now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I took my intake manifold out