Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake manifold swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 12:57 PM
LQZ
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake manifold swap problems

Ok i just finish swapping my stock ls1 intake manifold out for a PP 96mm intake with high flow fuel rail and a 92mm ebay throttle body. The problem is the car won't idle or stay running unless I unplug the maf (which is still the stock 1) then with it unplugged it idles at 2000rpm. My new throttle body doesn't have a hole in the blade, so i adjusted the screw to slightly open the blade and it idles with the maf plugged up but it sputters, cough, and runs extremely rough. Myquestion is does the car just need to be tuned or maybe another problem? It is a 98 z28 with a lq9 short block, 806 heads, full exhaust (ory). Its ben tuned for the 6.0 but it was already running rich before the swap, is it the tune???
Old 03-03-2015, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

could be quite a few things. unfortunately the PP intake sometimes has leaks around the gaskets I would try spraying carb cleaner at the base of the intake flanges and see if the idle changes. If that checks out then look at the tb and check the shaft, with the cheap ebay tb's lots of people report problems with idle issues like you have, same with some PP intakes. Check all that stuff and report back, it def should idle ok without a tune, driving is another story
Old 03-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Test for vacuum leaks. Do what redbird said, grab some carb cleaner or starting fluid and see if you can get it to rev up spraying around the gaskets or throttle body.

The problem is likely in the throttle body. You may need to drill a small hole and back the idle screw back down to where it was before.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:51 PM
LQZ
Teching In

Originally Posted by redbird555
could be quite a few things. unfortunately the PP intake sometimes has leaks around the gaskets I would try spraying carb cleaner at the base of the intake flanges and see if the idle changes. If that checks out then look at the tb and check the shaft, with the cheap ebay tb's lots of people report problems with idle issues like you have, same with some PP intakes. Check all that stuff and report back, it def should idle ok without a tune, driving is another story
Ok i sprayed carb cleaner at the base of the intake. The idle changes wen i spary the passager side and smoke is coming from the intake and backfiring so im guessing the gasket isn't sealing. Should i try new gaskets? I used the 1s provided, they looked kind of cheap
Old 03-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Teching In

I installed the same intake and used felpro gaskets and have had no problems. I also used the pro products throttle body.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

did you get the low profile valley cover bolts???

Quick Reply: Intake manifold swap problems