Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Question--Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Cover Question--Please Help!

Just got a call from my nephew who is doing some mods to the LS1 engine in his TransAm--cam, 36 lb injectors, LS6 heads (currently at machine shop for CNC work), LS6 intake manifold, etc. He's telling me to see if I can find him the different valve covers he says he needs for the LS6 heads--those with center bolt pattern. Looking online, however, it seems the LS1 valve covers that he has are of that design and are compatible. What am I missing?? I'm not all that familiar with the variations of the LS engine series and I don't want to look like an absolute jerk if I go to a few "yards" today in search of valve covers. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:46 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-threads.html

What year is the vehicle? If it's a 1998, it'll have perimeter bolt valve covers. 1999 and later valve covers were center bolt.

There's also differences in the ignition coils.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:16 AM

Default Thanks...I Understand Now!

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Welcome to LS1tech!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-threads.html

What year is the vehicle? If it's a 1998, it'll have perimeter bolt valve covers. 1999 and later valve covers were center bolt.

There's also differences in the ignition coils.
Thanks for that information--now I understand. My nephew's car is a '98, so his old valve covers have perimeter bolts. There's a Corvette yard near my house, so as soon as I finish my "chores" I'll go there to see if they have any of the center-bolt design. If you would, please tell me about the differences in the ignition coils that you mentioned means to his mods. Will he need new coils too? One last question, from 1999 up are all center-bolt valve covers the same? Will any after that year work--LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6? Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:23 AM

Default Sorry about that

Sorry, folks, for placing my initial post this morning in the wrong place. It should have been in "external engine" and I stupidly put it in "internal engine". Thanks for the help, though, and I promise to be more careful next time.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes I believe youll need matching coils. I would expect to pay 20-40 for the covers and 75-125 for the set of used coils. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:53 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJoe
Thanks for that information--now I understand. My nephew's car is a '98, so his old valve covers have perimeter bolts. There's a Corvette yard near my house, so as soon as I finish my "chores" I'll go there to see if they have any of the center-bolt design. If you would, please tell me about the differences in the ignition coils that you mentioned means to his mods. Will he need new coils too? One last question, from 1999 up are all center-bolt valve covers the same? Will any after that year work--LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6? Thanks again for your help.
Yes, all LS engines are pretty much the same except for these valve covers.

Go to the yard and get a pair of valve covers with the coils. They'll be on brackets that bolt to the cover. You need the brackets.

Just undo the five bolts that hold the brackets to the covers and undo the main big plug in the center going to the engine harness and it lifts off-coils, bracket and harness as one.

Then go for the valve cover. Get a new set of valve cover gaskets.

Originally Posted by GSJoe
Sorry, folks, for placing my initial post this morning in the wrong place. It should have been in "external engine" and I stupidly put it in "internal engine". Thanks for the help, though, and I promise to be more careful next time.
No worries, we've all done it.

Let us know how this goes!

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Question--Please Help!