Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eBay harmonic balancer install tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay harmonic balancer install tool

So I've been looking online for a balancer installer and the only one that seems relatively reasonably priced is the one on eBay for $19, now of course I'd like to get the right tool, but the hawk one is like 70 and Kent Moore is close to 100 (it's some threaded rod w/ nuts and a sleeve, get over yourself). Has anyone used the eBay one and had success? Is there another reasonable alternative? I've checked the hardware sites near me but they haven't got anything I could build one with.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

I know that autozone, advance have a 3 armed jaw pulley puller that you can use to get it off with. They will loan it to you. I believe that Sears and o'rilleys also have them that you can buy.
There is a picture of one on the ls1howto cam swap page.
Here is a link that takes you right to the picture of one that is on their page.
http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/fbody/camswap/pics/120removepulley.jpg
I am not sure if that link will work for you because I am doing this from my phone. If not dm me and I'll help you out man.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Nah I got the puller, I need the install tool
Old 03-22-2015, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

PM hiltsy855

He made a bunch of them and was selling them a while back. Got mine about 1.5 - 2 years ago. I bought one for around $20 shipped. I can't find the thread but just hit him up and ask him if he still has them. He sold a ton of them and they work great.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Launching!

I bought the ebay one and yes it does work, HOWEVER I used the proper install tool that has the torsion bearing on my buddy's underdrive balancer and it went on much easier than the ebay tool (threaded stock with only washers and nut).
Old 03-23-2015, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't sell them anymore but the ones on eBay are basically the same as mine. They work great, IMO you don't need the thrust bearing you get with the expensive units. If you want less friction use some assembly lube or anti-sieze on the washer, stud, & nut. If you want to make on yourself you can get 16mm x 2.0 threaded rod x 1 meter long at Fastenal for $50. Get at least grade 8.8. Cut it into 6 3/8" long pieces and you'll have 6 pieces for under $10 each.

Quick Reply: eBay harmonic balancer install tool