Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the AIR pump/system work ALL the time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the AIR pump/system work ALL the time?

Reason why I ask is, after my LT's install I developed CONSTANT ticking under load, in any gear. Some say if I !AIR it may remove the ticking noise. If the AIR system is not working ALL the time then that wouldn't be causing the CONSTANT ticking. Ya'll follow me? I don't want !AIR if it's not going to benefit me. FYI, I have no exhaust leaks, I did the air restrictor mod, and my check valves are good. So should I !AIR for my specific problem? Thanks...
Old 06-01-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The AIR pump doesn't make a ticking noise. It makes a faint whining noise and usually only stays on for a minute or two after starting the car. Ticking is almost always an exhaust leak, or a problem with the valvetrain, or even check valve flutter. How are you positive that you dont have any exhuast leaks?
Old 06-01-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AIR pump is only on when the car is 1st started to help bring the cats to operating temprature, after that it turns off...A little ticking is normal after LT's. You might try just getting some block off plates and see if that stops the problem, maybe its still the check vales? I've always just removed the system
Old 06-02-2004, 12:57 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SSean
The AIR pump is only on when the car is 1st started to help bring the cats to operating temprature, after that it turns off...A little ticking is normal after LT's. You might try just getting some block off plates and see if that stops the problem, maybe its still the check vales? I've always just removed the system
bingo
Old 06-02-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

Ferocity02 & SSean: I never had ticking like this before the LT's, maybe the headers amplified "valvetrain/lifter tick" and it directly has nothing to do with my LT's? My check valves are good, and I did the AIR restrictor mod so shouldn't that eliminate valve flutter? I do not have any exhaust leaks. Ive had two "experts" listen for exhaust leaks, both of them heard no leaking. One of the guys even used heater hose as a stethascope to listen for leaks in all areas.

So back to square one, from your responses eliminating AIR probably would not rid the ticking, correct?

Thanks...
Old 06-02-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Regular

So the check valves can still cause ticking even though the air pump is off? I guess im linking the check valves directly to the air pump. On the other hand, my check valves are good and I did the restrictor mod, but I could still have loud ticking from the check valves? Im just trying to understand guys. PLEASE help me understand this. Thanks...

Last edited by Camaro SS 2002; 06-02-2004 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

did you figure out what the ticking was? i have it also and there is no leak.