Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have tips on cleaning and removing pieces of piston and rings from ls6 intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have tips on cleaning and removing pieces of piston and rings from ls6 intake

Did a little searching, only one other story matched mine. And guy simply replaced his intake.

Here's the dilemma. Ls1 self destructed. Somehow pieces of piston and valve and rings made it up inside my intake along with plenty of oil and coolant. I've shook it and a lot of metal has come out, but is there a way to get this professionally cleaned out from the inside so I can reuse it? Or is it trash.

Please help.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I couldn't really tell you as i have never personally dealt with this before. But holy carnage if rings and valves filled your intake, and its still all intact somehow.

If the intake isn't damaged, the only thing i could suggest to do is take all of the port seals off of it, and soak it in a tub of degreaser and shake it around in there and let all the trash float out. Then just dry it out good using some compressed air.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Trust me I have no clue how it didn't blow the intake apart. There was the majority of a piston in there, just in pieces, and 2 rings. Never seen anything like it. That will definitely be on my list to do. But honestly still not sure if I wanna Chance installing on my lq9. Hoping someone else has seen it before and has got away with reusing. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm definitely going to try that and check out my results
Old 04-09-2015, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

find a flexible bore scope to look inside to make sure no pieces are left inside
Old 04-09-2015, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You could soak it in diesel or gas for a few days. Blow it out with a air hose. Take a shop vac with some heater hose attached to the end. Suck it out the best you can then re soak it in another clean fuel. I would think it being in a standing oil cutting liquid for a while should let whatever is stuck in grease and oil inside would come loose.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had the same problem when i lost a rod. I just used purple power diluted with water and a pressure washer. Been running the intake on new motor for 4k miles now. Make sure you blow it out and use a shop vac with flexible wand to get all the little stuff out
Old 04-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Awesome ideas guys. Thanks for any help. Ready to get this thing soaking.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

You should be fine blowing it out and soaking it like others suggested, but make absolute sure there is nothing in it.

Just as an FYI the factory manual for Northstar motors (LS intake design based off of the Northstar intake) says the intake must be replaced if the motor suffers mechanical damage due to not being able to be sure there is nothing in the intake that could come loose. Not saying I agree 100% but its something to think about considering the cost of a stock intake is not that high.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my piece of advice, dont reuse it, trash the damn thing, one of my engines had carnage after being re-build due to a piece that was not removed after cleaning from the intake, I had to do a complete new rebuild. throw it in the trash and buy yourself a new intake, do not trash a new block with this mistake. if it was a fast and you could take it apart then I would understand but you cannot see if there is still a piece stuck somewhere in the intake that may eventually come loose and be sucked into a cylinder causing havoc.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hc4mula
my piece of advice, dont reuse it, trash the damn thing, one of my engines had carnage after being re-build due to a piece that was not removed after cleaning from the intake, I had to do a complete new rebuild. throw it in the trash and buy yourself a new intake, do not trash a new block with this mistake. if it was a fast and you could take it apart then I would understand but you cannot see if there is still a piece stuck somewhere in the intake that may eventually come loose and be sucked into a cylinder causing havoc.
X2!!!

Never re-use one of these style intake's from a blown motor especially knowing that metal, oil, and coolant went inside.

It's what you can't see that will get you. There are plenty of little places inside these style of intakes were parts could be stuck but won't come out until its under vacuum. Usually they come loose under heavy load...

Quick Reply: Anyone have tips on cleaning and removing pieces of piston and rings from ls6 intake