Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another power steering cooler location/idea.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another power steering cooler location/idea.

This thread is for the lurkers and searchers out there swapping the SS/WS6 PS cooler or adding one. Most of the threads I've found in search have the same pictures with the same location idea so I thought I'd throw this one into the mix. You'll need to do an AIR delete to get rid of the AIR pump because that's the spot you'll be using if you go this route.

Cooler is a Hayden OC-1676. I got it off Amazon but sponsor Summit Racing has it too.

Stacked plate cooler. 3/8'' in/out, same as stock line size. Comes with some brackets and hose, hose clamps and nuts/washers/bolts for mounting.

Overall Height (in): 6.000 in.
Overall Width (in): 11.000 in.
Overall Thickness (in): 0.750 in.
Cooler Construction: Plate
Cooler Material: Steel
Inlet Size: 3/8 in.
Inlet Attachment: Hose barb
Outlet Size: 3/8 in.
Outlet Attachment: Hose barb

I used a 3/8 barb fitting to connect one line to a stock line but used the supplied hose from the kit to do the other line straight to the pump. I bought two 3/8 barb fittings but only used one, but if you suxxorz at routing you might need two. Or just buy more 3/8'' fuel line and do a new run. Either way the kit comes with 4 good hose clamps.

Hose barb:

This isn't intended to be a write-up, but grab some ideas for mounting from the pics. The area probably isn't the most blustery area for air flow either, but its better than the stock PS cooler and its up out of the way of debris and doesn't require cutting the stock air dam or interfering with radiator flow.

Removed AIR pump access door by taking out two screws and cutting with utility knife along the "hinged" edge. Also, I bent one of the brackets and cut the excess off and used a stock hole for the bottom cooler mount.

Another pic looking up from the bottom of the AIR pump access area:

Pic of the top mounting. Used a straight bracket to near the center of the cooler then attached it to another bent and cut bracket:

Top mount pic again:

Used stock holes and kit brackets/bolts/clamps. Reuse old clamps or use new ones to the pump. If you do a short run of hose from the far fender side of the cooler to the stock cooler feed line with a barb, you'll have enough hose left over to do a run from the passenger side cooler fitting direct to the PS pump return inlet on the bottom. Just unclip the fuse box holder thing on the fender side and flip it up for easier access to the top of the AIR pump area. Make sure to zip tie all your routed hose AWAY and OFF of sharp corners and edges so vibrations don't damage the hose. This is also a good time to flush/change PS fluid. Cheers foos and foo-ettes.
Attached Thumbnails Another power steering cooler location/idea.-20150418_083632.jpg   Another power steering cooler location/idea.-20150418_083620.jpg   Another power steering cooler location/idea.-20150418_083721.jpg   Another power steering cooler location/idea.-20150418_083658.jpg   Another power steering cooler location/idea.-20150418_084008.jpg  

Another power steering cooler location/idea.-20150418_083850.jpg  

Last edited by CoolAid; 04-18-2015 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Another power steering cooler location/idea.