Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obnoxious squeel and whine after new alternator install

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Obnoxious squeel and whine after new alternator install

My alternator went out on my '01 SS Camaro last year in August. I ordered a brand new A/C Delco high output alternator (truck style) and left it sitting in the passenger seat since then as I relocated and was unable to bring the car with me. I finally went back for it on Saturday and swapped the alternator. I've done plenty of research on this and haven't found anything solidly conclusive, but

1) The new alternator sounds kind of like a blower. A wannabe Procharger if you will. Most sources say it's the bearings, though it's a fairly new belt and a brand new alternator. Still possible, but **** that would suck.

2) The stupid thing chirps like crazy. I can spray some WD-40 directly onto the pulley and both the whine and the chirp go away temporarily. The whine goes away for about 20 seconds or so each time, and the chirp will stay away for a little while but it comes back before too long like clockwork no matter what.

Am I looking at a pulley replacement possibly? I've considered a belt dressing but not sure if that will really do jack. I may look into a warranty on the alternator but not sure if I will be able to since I bought it in August

Thoughts and experiences appreciated, thank you!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sprayed it with WD-40? Bad idea. Time to take the belt off, throw it away and brake-clean the crap out of ALL of your pulleys. Also, is the pulley on the new alt plastic? I've had problems with the plastic pulleys on alternators and power steering pumps. Replace them with a metal pulley sometimes cures squeal. Also, Goodyear Gatorback belts worked when nothing else did. But mostly, keep EVERYTHING clean and dry on the belt and pulley surfaces. As a last-ditch effort, I put a manual tensioner on my head-cam car to help from throwing belts past 7,000rpm and it killed an acceleration squeal I had.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah the WD40 was not... Preferable... But it was all I had in the car on a 5 hour drive I wanted to isolate the noise before I got too ***** deep into the drive. I don't think the belt should need to be tossed, just washed in some soap and water,but then again WD40 and rubber are not the greatest combo. However, the pulleys are deserving of a brake clean bath and I've got plenty of that lying around.

Problem is, the pulley is metal, not plastic. I don't think it's a tension issue either as the sound was not there prior and it hasn't changed prior to the lubing. It's quite infuriating, and embarrassing to drive around with.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:10 AM
Launching!

Check the alignment of the belt. I bought a replacement alternator(different brand than yours though) and the pully was slightly different throwing off the alignment causing the belt to squeel. I put the original pully on the new alternator and the noise was gone.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camarof41_383
Check the alignment of the belt. I bought a replacement alternator(different brand than yours though) and the pully was slightly different throwing off the alignment causing the belt to squeel. I put the original pully on the new alternator and the noise was gone.
This is very good advice.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

SOrt of similar, my replacement had a washer behind the pulley that spaced it out exactly one groove on the pulley. Removed pulley, removed washer, reinstalled pulley.

Also, I read a TSB about the idler pulley getting updated, so your replacement alternator may be designed with the replacement pulley in mind...
Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alignment is probably it, especially if the WD40 made the noise go away, i would think that made the belt rubbing on the side of the pulley stop
Old 04-21-2015, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Ooh, I will check this out for sure. Was your pulley plastic or metal, by chance?

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
SOrt of similar, my replacement had a washer behind the pulley that spaced it out exactly one groove on the pulley. Removed pulley, removed washer, reinstalled pulley.

Also, I read a TSB about the idler pulley getting updated, so your replacement alternator may be designed with the replacement pulley in mind...
I'm wondering if the fact that it's a truck alternator has something to do with it, although it seems tons of people have made this swap without issues.

I can't seem to find this TSB. I know there was one for the alternator bracket itself, but that was for Pre-01 cars, which is what mine is.

Originally Posted by mahone30
Alignment is probably it, especially if the WD40 made the noise go away, i would think that made the belt rubbing on the side of the pulley stop
Hmmm, perhaps so. Will look into it today
Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

You're right, it was the bracket. Mine was a F-body alternator, but they still messed it up at the factory with that washer.

Quick Reply: Obnoxious squeel and whine after new alternator install