Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over heating question??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Over heating question??

heres the deal my car has been running extremely hot like around 240! so i figured it was my thermo so i put in a new 180 thermo. adn sure enough the very next day i had my check guages ligth come one and i was at redline on my temp guage! what could the problem be?? my fans are coming on they stay on as well once the car is off! i just had a coolant power flush 10K ago so i know my system isnt cloged!! does anybody have ideas! i cant drive it anywhere in this super hot state of florida! any ideas would be great!

PS my transportation is now a Mini dirt bike a PW65 tops ot at 45mph hell yea good thing i don work to far from home !!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Try bleeding the cooling system. Remove radiator cap, start vechicle w/ cap off, turn heater on to high, wait till thermostat opens (it opens when you see coolant flowing in radiator) just add coolant till it fills to the top of the radiator and close the cap when there are no more air bubbles. hope that helps.

Mark
Old 06-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Teching In

try what 1320 said, if you have no heat coming through your vents then you have an air bubble somewhere in the system, if running it with the radiator cap off doesn't get it out then pull off the thermostat housing and pull out the thermostat, check if there is any coolant in the block, if not fill it through there till it is up to the thermostat then put it back on and fill from the radiator after that. hopefully that will work, otherwise your water pump took a crap, i have only seen it a couple times at work but sometimes the impellers in the water pump just snap off so the water pump won't push any coolant, an easy way (but messy way) to test is to remove the thermostat housing and thermostat again (when the engine is cold!!) and have someone else inside the car start it up, if coolant starts flooding out of the housing then the water pump works and you can move on, if no coolant starts flooding out of the therm. housing then you have a bad water pump. Although if you just had a coolant flush then chances are you have an air bubble. let me know what you find
Old 06-02-2004, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

theres no way that there is air in the system i just put a new thermo in about 2 days ago and i blead the hole system w/ this great thing that snap on makes that creates a vacume in the cooling system to ensure that there is no air!
Old 06-02-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

If in fact there is no air in system, the radiator and recovery tank are full, the fans are running when you are driving, and the thermostat is working properly then it will not overheat. I think you should backtrack and double check everything. The cooling system is basic. I don't know about that Snap On tool. Try Install University web site for thermostat install and air bleeding. Good luck. Hope it's not something like a head gasket!
Old 06-03-2004, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

hey i think i pretty much have it figured out i drained my system again and put all new coolant again b/c i was double checking everything and the only thing that could possible be wrong is the water pump so i now have bought a new water pump that wil go in in about a day or so. double checked everythign i ran the test that chev does for the fan switches and they both work fine the system is not blocked at all and the thermo works fine i did that run it under hot woater to see if it opens trick so the only thing left is the water pump god i hope that it ! wish me luck thanks for teh advise!!
Old 06-03-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had old water hoses collapse when the engine revs.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I hate to say this but changing out the water pump is not going to fix it. Take the radiator cap off with engine cold and start it up. When the thermostat opens you should see the coolant flowing. Water pumps stop working when they seize up and you can't miss that. Seems LS1's get an air pocket in the system and you have to bleed it out. Also if you are not running the right coolant mixture the temp sensor will not turn on the fans. If you have air in the system, or if the thermostat is not opening, maybe in backwards, the coolant will not flow. But that does not mean the water pump is bad. When you find the problem I would like to know what it was. I put a 160 thermostat in mine and bled system as per instructions, worked fine. I'm 100% sure your pump is fine. Like when people have low oil pressure they think it must be the oil pump. Kinda the same thing, if it's turning it's working.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

ok well mister answer guy the system has absoutly no air in it i am positive i ran the car for 35min w/ not radaitor cap. i'm pretty sure theres no air in the system and as for proper coolant mixture all you have to do is read teh bottel and mix as it says easy enough! i know the temp sensor is working i ran a electrical test on the system to see if it was turning the fans on and off and it is!! as for the temp sensor going in backwards the only way that would happen is if you drill out new bolt holes!! do you even own a f-body b/c that made you sound like you have no idea what your talking about. and it comes w/ the housing you cant just order then thermo!! so there is a 1 in 1000000000000000000000000 chance its in backwards! As for " if its turning its working" what about if the impeller blades were broken or the spindel shaft bent??? water pump will go in tomarrow morning And IT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM!! thanks for teh bad Carma bro!
Old 06-05-2004, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Relax, I was just tryin to help. Yes I own an F body, I've had two. Now have 02 WS6. The thermostat comes right out of that housing, I have taken it out of one housing and put it in another I liked better. Let me know how that new pump works out. If your fans are OK and you are running those high temps you should be able to hear them when you are in the car. You have two fans that are two speed. They should both be on high speed and you can hear them 20 feet away. Just a thought. Good luck there buddy.