Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wanting to quite down my Car. H/C/I with true duals wants to go catted Y with catback

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default wanting to quite down my Car. H/C/I with true duals wants to go catted Y with catback

Hello Guys.

I know im not the only one that dislikes my true duals and has I guess for better terms have grown old of my current set up.

What is the best Catted Y pipe that wont break the bank?

Also I looking to get a nice catback minus magnaflow.

If anyone has went from true duals back to catback what set up did you go with and how much do you like it compared to the duals. Thanks
Old 04-26-2015, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will take a performance hit by going that route. Why not just extend the td's under the axle and out the back and add two round mufflers like mangaflows before the exit. it will be much quieter and you wont take much of a hit not to mention its cheaper than buying a catted y and whole new catback
Old 04-26-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya if you already have a true dual setup, i would just add a resonator on each side. something like a Vibrant 18" long 3" in/out should help. you need a muffler or resonator with sufficient packing but a true 3" or better internal flowpath.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I went from my old car which had true duals with dynomax bullet mufflers turned down at the rear bumper, h/c, etc. to my current car which also has h/c but the factory slp dual/dual exhaust. I do personally like the current car's exhaust setup better as i grew tired of my old car being so loud. With the dual/dual my car is relatively quiet until i get on it but at idle sometimes i do feel it's a lil too quiet however everyone who's not an fbody owner actually loves the way it sounds.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya loud gets old, or maybe as we get old loud is no longer cared for. I've had my exhaust setup for nearly 10 years and I am contemplating going a new route because i don't want to hack up my GMMG, but i want a quieter car.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDeadG8
ya loud gets old, or maybe as we get old loud is no longer cared for. I've had my exhaust setup for nearly 10 years and I am contemplating going a new route because i don't want to hack up my GMMG, but i want a quieter car.
Yeah i think that is the case...i got my first fbody back in 2003 and at that time i didn't mind it being loud but as i have gotten older i like to be able to hold a conversation in my car and have it to where it's not loud while im cruising down the highway. It's also kinda nice when people underestimate your car cuz it's not really loud
Old 04-27-2015, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

exhaust under axle=tacky
Old 04-27-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
exhaust under axle=tacky
Yep every car with irs and true duals looks "tacky" because they always route under the irs
Old 04-27-2015, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Keep the TD's and add high flow cats or resonators. Still be better then going back to a y-pipe catback setup.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Keep the TD's and add high flow cats or resonators. Still be better then going back to a y-pipe catback setup.
^This! Adding cats will tone it down a ton.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the duals! your goal can be completed! Appears you have the TSP duals possibly got the ones with the dynomax bullets. I would keep those and get pipe to go under or over the axle and get some quite mufflers. For example dynomax ultraflow mufflers still flow great while taking the sound level down, or a borla or magnaflow. Perferably one that is not a bullet type because most bullet style mufflers flow so good they dont take the sound level down much dB. Think about all the modern cars that come with duals and are quite like Cadillac's CTS V, Pontiac G8. Y pipe wouldn't be my solution to your fix. You could fix your exhaust for no more than $200 by keeping the duals. Betcha ya cant find a catted Y-pipe with cat back for cheaper than that and not break the bank which is another goal of yours.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I think I might add cats to the exhaust. I just dont want to dump another 300 into the exhaust and still hate it. I might just cut off the bullets that came from TSP and get another muffler like mentioned. Just clamp everything. Problem is I had everything welded and Im afraid my headers are going to be so ate up after this. This is the second exhaust swap that was welded on.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I vote for ordering magnaflow mufflers 14445 from advanced auto (using coupons you can get a pair for $125 shipped).

Swap your mufflers and see if it's quiet enough to your liking.

Sell your current mufflers to gain some cash back, If still not quiet enough then look into adding cats or extending pipes out to the back.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump who has tsp duals and is running cats? if your running a muffler what are you running
Old 05-22-2015, 06:46 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, look into a Stainless Works catback. I have their 3.5" system, and I would say it's as quiet cruising as my Magnaflow was, and now I've got bigger cubes, bigger headers, and it's still just as quiet, well, until I roll into the throttle.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved the sound of duals dumped. Your not gonna find anything close to the mean sound it gives. Especially with a cam.

I was running TSP duals with 1 chamber flowmasters. Its very loud. But i didnt wanna risk getting messed with cops..so i now run a Y pipe with corsa catback.

Id say if you dont have to worry bout cops or anything... run duals dumped!!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
exhaust under axle=tacky
Agreed. Ive been running a dual dual with a cutout for a while and its the absolute best of both worlds. I recently swapped up, wish you were closer id give you a heck of a deal on it.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Yep every car with irs and true duals looks "tacky" because they always route under the irs
Couple of things. 1 we dont have irs which im very sure you already know and 2 ive personally build a ton of exhausts from scratch, one was extending duals under the axles per the owners request. It was very functional as we flanged it so he could run the dumps or the full length system but regardless it was still pretty silly. If you space 3 inch away from the sway bar enough to give the rear end some room to move the pipe is like 2 inches off the ground.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Couple of things. 1 we dont have irs which im very sure you already know and 2 ive personally build a ton of exhausts from scratch, one was extending duals under the axles per the owners request. It was very functional as we flanged it so he could run the dumps or the full length system but regardless it was still pretty silly. If you space 3 inch away from the sway bar enough to give the rear end some room to move the pipe is like 2 inches off the ground.
I totally didnt think about that. I think you have a great point about the exhaust being like 2 inches from the ground. Well looks like Im going to be getting a Y pipe now. I would freaking hate to stick another 350+ into my duals and it be to close to the ground and or sound like ***. Looks like Either magnaflow or slp dual dual
Old 05-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I think you'll be happy with a Dual/Dual if you can find one, or a Magnaflow. If Magnaflow, I wouldn't buy their catback with cannon tips, but the muffler, Walker Dynomax I-pipe and OTA pipes, and have the tailpipes fabbed.

A friend had duals OTA/OTB and even so, he called me one day driving it and said it was giving him a headache and he couldn't take it anymore. He went back to a Y with the Magnaflow as above and has been happy ever since.

Quick Reply: wanting to quite down my Car. H/C/I with true duals wants to go catted Y with catback