Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will jethot catted y pipe make car sound stock with cats on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will jethot catted y pipe make car sound stock with cats on?

since they are hi flow, will the car sound good with the cats on? i have oo trans am with gmmg exhaust, would the sound be alot better without cats? thanks and if cats are on will the sound be ok? will you be able to tell i have longtubes?
Old 06-03-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

depends on your exhaust.
if you have a loud exhaust, you will notice a difference, if you have a quiet exhaust you won't notice too much of a difference, but you will notice a difference.

personally I prefer cats, yes they rob you of some HP, but IMO the exhaust sounds soooooo much better. Even cutouts sound a lot better with cats.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

you will definetly hear a difference but it will just sound alot better still tame volume wise after i took out my cats its night and day on the sound not to raspy either and would never go back to cats . by the way my setup is very close to a gmmg when compared to a few cars that had the gmmg
Old 06-03-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

what exhaust are you running? i guess its all opinions on the sound, how hard is it to remove cats and make the jethot y an orp? i think before i get it all welded ill try both ways.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

its a custom setup with swwet thunder mufflers similar to gmmgs setup but being custom bent it doest flow that great. sounds insane with the cut out open though one of these days ill fix it as for the cats you can alwasy try it but ill tell ya i wish i just got a ory in the first place mines all welded now anyway all the lil pieces can be a pain to line up and the race pipes fit a little tight on mine
Old 06-03-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

so yours is welded so you cant put the cats back on unless you cut the y pipe?
Old 06-03-2004, 08:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

you got it , i tossed the cats anyway wasnt even gonna bother to call jet hot within 5000 miles they were falling apart and partially clogged major increase in power above 3800rpm after i took them out , id never go back but if i was drunk and wanted to yes id have to cut it apart
Old 06-03-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

man for a product that costs so damn much all i hear is bad stuff about jethots catted y pipe, that sux
Old 06-03-2004, 09:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

wish i had known
Old 06-04-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bluecmaro96
man for a product that costs so damn much all i hear is bad stuff about jethots catted y pipe, that sux
You could have a custom Y pipe made, I don't think it would be too expensive either. Order the headers, install them and go off to the muffler shop and let them bend you a Y pipe and install any cat of your choice. Carsounds are very good, and very cheap
Also if your willing to spend a little extra cash, the muffler shop can setup the cats so they can be easily interchangeable for straight pipes. My passenger side cat is easily removable, basically 3 bolts and it slides right out, my driver side cat though is welded in place because they came with clamps and the clamps didn't work too well
Old 06-05-2004, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bluecmaro96
since they are hi flow, will the car sound good with the cats on? i have oo trans am with gmmg exhaust, would the sound be alot better without cats? thanks and if cats are on will the sound be ok? will you be able to tell i have longtubes?
00 Formula, heads and 224 cam, jethot long tubes and magnaflow. love the sound with jethot y-pipe with cats and still dynoed same numbers compared to off road pipe cars. Interesting about them clogging
Old 06-05-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

the problem with having a shop around here make me a y pipe is they dont mandrel bend pipe, and i sure as hell dont want a non mandrel y pipe over a mandrel y pipe. jethot should design their sh** better .