Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

someone remind me how to get these piece of shit 1st generation SLP longtubes off

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default someone remind me how to get these piece of **** 1st generation SLP longtubes off

so my WS6 when I found it had these stupid SLP longtubes on it installed way back in 2002 by the previous owner, so they are the 1st generation ones aka the most retarded header design in the history of ever, as we all know. Changing them out to TSP 1 7/8 here.

Can someone remind me how to get these hunks of junk out of the engine bay lol. The passenger side is stuck hard between the car and the bellhousing( 6 speed car) and the drivers side like I can't even start see where to start its so jammed in there.

I had these things on my Camaro back in 2001 when they cameout and I recall them being a nightmare to deal with but it was so long ago I just can't remember the tricks to getting them in and out.

Passenger side it looks like next thing to try might be removing motor mount and jacking the motor up? Drivers side I haven't really looked at as closely yet.

Any tips would be great thanks.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

motor mounts. lift engine.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

do you have any room to cut them up to try and get them out easier?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

saws-all
Old 04-28-2015, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine come out pretty easy (1st gen SLP/98 Camaro). Disconnect the steering linkage and the starter. Just wiggle them slowly and try to pull down and inwards toward the bell housing. The passenger header should be able to rotate downward after lowering it an inch or so. I haven't had to lift the engine or anything like that.

I'd be interested to know how much HP you pick up. Dyno tune planned in the near future I hope?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Motorboater

I didn't dyno the car with the current setup, just tuned it on the street so there won't be a comparison between the two headers power wise I'm afraid.

I would def sawzall these pieces of ****. I already ruined the passenger side cuz the car had high flow cats on it and the passenger side one was corroded onto the header beyond belief so I just cut through the collector. I may stick some old plugs in the head to keep metal shavings out and see how easy I can cut through the tubes vs bothering with raising the motor.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My SLPs pretty much fell out with my stock k member, getting the drivers side TSP in was the problem for me.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:11 PM
Motorboater

Got them but it was retarded. Passenger side I pulled the motor mount bolt and jacked the motor up and barely got it out.

Drivers side. Pulled oil filter and steering arm. Ended up having to pull alternator to remove motor mount bolt. Then ended up having to unbolt and remove the entire motor mount pedestal from the K frame.

I'd pretty much like to shoot whoever designed these original SLPs at this point. What a ******* idiot.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:14 PM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by MasterV8
My SLPs pretty much fell out with my stock k member, getting the drivers side TSP in was the problem for me.
No way u had the original versions of them then if they fell out lol
Old 05-03-2015, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
No way u had the original versions of them then if they fell out lol
Yes they were! Surprised me because I had a hell of a time installing them, had to pry the transmission over & force the drivers side in.
May have just been a fluke but it came straight out first time.

Quick Reply: someone remind me how to get these piece of shit 1st generation SLP longtubes off