Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley Noise Help! - Squeaking noise on cold startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Pulley Noise Help! - Squeaking noise on cold startup

2000 T/A
ls1 m6

Hi All,
Looking for advice about some squeaks I'm getting from of of the belt driven accessories. The noise is only on a cold startup and goes away once armed up. This just started recently and I can't seem to narrow down the problem. I've ruled out the A/C belt system as I don't have the noise when the serpentine belt is removed. I also pretty much ruled out the idler pulley as its new as of yesterday. Please see the video below.

All my belt driven accessories are fairly new:
  • Tensioner Pulley (Gates)- 450 miles of use. (the old dayco pulley wore out after a few thousand miles). I doubt this is the issue as the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the area.
  • Idler Pulley (ACdelco)- 100 miles of use. Literally replaced Yesterday. (old dayco pulley wore out after a few thousand miles)
  • Power Steering Pump (ACdelco)- 450 Miles of use. (old one leaked out the main seal and whined)
  • Alternator (AC Delco)- 375 miles of use. (old one had slightly squeaking bearing at times)
  • Water Pump (Gates)- 8k miles of use.
All my serpentine belt accessories are new in the past few months except my water pump (Gates), which it about 3 years old.
With the belt off, spinning the individual accessories by hand doesn't reveal any super obvious indications of a bad bearing. The only pulley that makes an odd noise is the water pump, which sounds like the seal is making noise when spinning by hand (no real signs of play). See the video below, I'm not sure if this noise is normal or not as I don't have a new one to compare.

Spinning accessories by hand . Weird water pump noise - Video:

Squeak Noise on Cold Startup - Video:

The alternator is a new Ac delco unit (3351075) that had a slight whistle to it since it was first installed. Not sure if it's related. The Power Steering pump has the tiniest bit of play only when pulling straight out, but I don't know what is normal/acceptable.

Can anyone help me pinpoint what the noise is or give any advice? Do the water pumps normally make such a noise when spinning by hand?
Old 05-14-2015, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

damn RIP headphone users lol

I would say its your water pump... its not supposed to sound like a dying cat when you spin it by hand
Old 05-14-2015, 11:56 PM
Launching!

I was kind of leaning towards that just based off of the noise. I can't really remember how it sounded or felt when installing it about about 3 years ago. I really don't look forward to taking a dexcool bath to change this pump. Too bad no one makes parts that last, I though Gates was a good brand when originally buying the pump.. but having issues at such little mileage makes me think otherwise.

I still have a lingering suspicion about my brand new alternator that likes to whistle.. while it works. We shall see.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j498
2000 T/A
ls1 m6

Hi All,
Looking for advice about some squeaks I'm getting from of of the belt driven accessories. The noise is only on a cold startup and goes away once armed up. This just started recently and I can't seem to narrow down the problem. I've ruled out the A/C belt system as I don't have the noise when the serpentine belt is removed. I also pretty much ruled out the idler pulley as its new as of yesterday. Please see the video below.

All my belt driven accessories are fairly new:
  • Tensioner Pulley (Gates)- 450 miles of use. (the old dayco pulley wore out after a few thousand miles). I doubt this is the issue as the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the area.
  • Idler Pulley (ACdelco)- 100 miles of use. Literally replaced Yesterday. (old dayco pulley wore out after a few thousand miles)
  • Power Steering Pump (ACdelco)- 450 Miles of use. (old one leaked out the main seal and whined)
  • Alternator (AC Delco)- 375 miles of use. (old one had slightly squeaking bearing at times)
  • Water Pump (Gates)- 8k miles of use.
All my serpentine belt accessories are new in the past few months except my water pump (Gates), which it about 3 years old.
With the belt off, spinning the individual accessories by hand doesn't reveal any super obvious indications of a bad bearing. The only pulley that makes an odd noise is the water pump, which sounds like the seal is making noise when spinning by hand (no real signs of play). See the video below, I'm not sure if this noise is normal or not as I don't have a new one to compare.

Spinning accessories by hand . Weird water pump noise - Video:
Ls1 water pump noise - YouTube

Squeak Noise on Cold Startup - Video:
Ls1 Accessory Noise/Squeak - YouTube

The alternator is a new Ac delco unit (3351075) that had a slight whistle to it since it was first installed. Not sure if it's related. The Power Steering pump has the tiniest bit of play only when pulling straight out, but I don't know what is normal/acceptable.

Can anyone help me pinpoint what the noise is or give any advice? Do the water pumps normally make such a noise when spinning by hand?
Good morning, everyone. Brian Wheeler from Dayco here.

After watching the video, it is possible that the noise is coming from the water pump bearing.

Also, it appears that the noise could be caused by pulley misalignment, especially since the noise occurs in the morning after start-up, but then goes away once warmed up. If possible, you should probably perform a water spray test onto the belt’s ribs right after start-up (while the noise is still occurring), and if it immediately goes away, then it is most likely the belt (i.e. pulley misalignment) rather than the water pump.

Hope this helps!

Brian
Old 06-23-2016, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Sorry to kick this up... I forgot to update this. After a while of messing around with the car, the belt squeak/squeal issue did turn out to be the power steering pump pulley. Originally I installed the P/S pulley on the new pump with the same clearance and in the same position as the old pump. I tried pulling the pulley of in a few different positions until it was visually misaligned to no avail, and tightening it on any more felt like the pulley was going to break.

It turns out with the new pump that I had to set the pulley slightly more on to the PS pump shaft than normal for it to line up correctly and for the belt noise to stop. I can only guess this is due to slight variations in the pump body. The pulley felt like it was on the verge of breaking for me to get it on into the correct position, as they get very tight the more you go press them on.

The hardest part was really figuring out which direction to go with the pulley and how far.This required some interesting belt techniques.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Quick Reply: Pulley Noise Help! - Squeaking noise on cold startup