Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DBW throttle body: Gen 3 vs Gen 4

Old 05-16-2015, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default DBW throttle body: Gen 3 vs Gen 4

Do any of you folks know if it is possible to use a Gen 4 DBW throttle body using Gen 3 electronics? I'm building a junkyard LQ4 with a L96 top end (square port) so I'll be running the newer truck intake. I'm trying to find the harness and ECM out of a van which will be drive by cable but it is more likely that I'll get stuff from a truck as they are more common and they are DBW so I need to know if the 24x setup can run a DBW throttle body from a 58x motor.

Thanks!

S.F.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Bumpo
Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it's possible and pretty easy actually. I'm planning on doing basically the same thing with my junkyard 5.3 (TBSS intake & milled 243 heads) and found a couple options depending on what Gen III electronics you're using. If you have the 01-02 TAC module (all plastic) and PCM you can use the cheaper LS1 to LS2 TB adapter harness from Caspers (or someone else there's several versions) and it'll let you use a 90mm silver blade LS2 TB. If you have the 03-06 TAC module (metal back) and PCM you'll need the more expensive x-link adapter harness from Torque Rush and it'll let you use the cheaper and easier to find 87mm truck TB or 90mm gold blade LS3 TB. I also ran across a thread where somebody had de-pinned the wires for the older TB plug and re-pinned them in to the newer plug and it supposedly worked like a charm for him. I tried to PM him to get some more info about what specifically he did but never got a response...

Here's the link to the thread I started about this subject over at PT (had more luck with info than the thread I started here) http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...rences-537063/

Out of curiosity though why are you only looking for a van harness? Any Gen III DBW harness should work you'll just need to be sure to get the pedal, TAC, and harness with it. Also, depending on where you're getting your harness and what they, it may be worth it to look in to just picking up a new standalone harness from someone like PSI or BP Automotive...

Edit: Just re-read that last line and saw you were looking at truck and SUV harnesses as well so feel free to disregard the last part of my post lol.

Last edited by NorCalAnthony; 05-18-2015 at 09:03 PM. Reason: missed something...
Old 05-21-2015, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony
Yes it's possible and pretty easy actually. I'm planning on doing basically the same thing with my junkyard 5.3 (TBSS intake & milled 243 heads) and found a couple options depending on what Gen III electronics you're using. If you have the 01-02 TAC module (all plastic) and PCM you can use the cheaper LS1 to LS2 TB adapter harness from Caspers (or someone else there's several versions) and it'll let you use a 90mm silver blade LS2 TB. If you have the 03-06 TAC module (metal back) and PCM you'll need the more expensive x-link adapter harness from Torque Rush and it'll let you use the cheaper and easier to find 87mm truck TB or 90mm gold blade LS3 TB. I also ran across a thread where somebody had de-pinned the wires for the older TB plug and re-pinned them in to the newer plug and it supposedly worked like a charm for him. I tried to PM him to get some more info about what specifically he did but never got a response...

Here's the link to the thread I started about this subject over at PT (had more luck with info than the thread I started here) http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...rences-537063/

Out of curiosity though why are you only looking for a van harness? Any Gen III DBW harness should work you'll just need to be sure to get the pedal, TAC, and harness with it. Also, depending on where you're getting your harness and what they, it may be worth it to look in to just picking up a new standalone harness from someone like PSI or BP Automotive...

Edit: Just re-read that last line and saw you were looking at truck and SUV harnesses as well so feel free to disregard the last part of my post lol.
Thank you very much for the info! I'm not set on either the Van or the truck at this point, the real issue is finding one in the yard that some fool hasn't cut to bits in a half completed attempt at pulling the engine.... So far I am coming up empty.

Harness work doesn't frighten me, Ive built 3 stand alone harnesses so far: 1995 Mustang GT 5.0 / AODE in a 81 F100, 1991 Mustang GT / T5 in my 83 BMW 5-series (current toy) and just finished last week a TBI harness for a friends 55 chevy sedan.

I just wanted to know what is possible so I can take advantage of a harness if I find it! The Gen 4 truck throttle bodies are cheap on ebay so as long as I know that I can make it work with gen 3 electronics then its a possibility if I don't end up with a DBC harness from a van.

S.F.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DBW throttle body: Gen 3 vs Gen 4