Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Dipstick Tube Fitment on LM7

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:53 PM
XDR
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 Dipstick Tube Fitment on LM7

In the process of installing my Mast Motorsports pan on my 5.3 that is in my Jeep. It is a '01 5.3 LM7. Mast says that a LS3 dipstick tube is required, I have removed my stock tube and when installing the LS3 tube it gets real tight where it necks down and I can only get about 1/8" of that portion in. The stock tube didn't appear to have an o-ring and the portion that goes into the block was alot shorter. Am I missing something? Attached is a photo of the 2 and you can see on the LS3 tube where its like an interference fit.
Attached Thumbnails LS3 Dipstick Tube Fitment on LM7-39b8c648-81bb-4fc6-a218-7143e0c09db6_zpsnsqmyg0o.jpg  
Old 05-22-2020, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm guessing the original poster probably figured this out sometime in the last five years, but since I had the same question and couldn't find an answer anywhere, I figured I'd provide the answer. The lower portion of an LS3 dipstick tube is in fact the same as an LM7 dipstick tube, it's just that the one shown in the picture was broken off in the block. Looks basically the same as mine, and it broke off so cleanly that the tube looks like it is meant to be that way and it is hard to tell that the stub that's left in the block isn't just a machined feature. Once I dropped the pan it was pretty obvious. Even with the pan off and being able to pound on it from the bottom, it didn't come out easy!
Old 05-22-2020, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Dipstick tubes aren't so much block related as they are pan related. LS blocks are all the same in that respect.

Quick Reply: LS3 Dipstick Tube Fitment on LM7