Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator

I want to ull it out now, but all i see is the 2 bolts in the fornt i took those off adn nothing. it doesn't coem out is there anything else holding it in?? someone told me something about some brackets in the back but i can't see ****

98 z28
Old 06-04-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's another bolt in the back. Then you have to take the ground screw off the alternator, then the plug that is connected to the alt. and then you have to wrestle it out. Hope that helps.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

there's 4 bolts total. 3 in front, one in the back. Before you remove the bolts, disconnect the battery. DUH. Then take a small flathead screwdriver, and remove the wire plug from the top of the alternator (it's on top of the black plastic cover). Be careful you don't yank out the wire from the plug. Then unscrew the nut holding the ground lead on the back. It's under a boot. Use a 13 mm. Once that's disconnected you remove the bolt on the back on the bracket...it's another 13 mm.

The 2 bolts you probably removed are 15 mm long bolts, one up top and one at the bottom right? There's a third in the middle holding the bracket on that you have to take off. The bracket holds a small pulley too. You'll have to wiggle the alternator out of the bracket. Vois las.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Teching In

hmm thxs for the help

but soemthing is wierd it came out with only takeing off teh 2 front mounting bolts teh ground cable and the conntecter on top...
Old 06-05-2004, 01:59 AM
Teching In

the back brakcet is missing...