Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior drone w/ dumped duals...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior drone w/ dumped duals...

I've heard people angling the turn downs off their mufflers a particular way in order to cancel out some of the interior drone/resonance made by dumped true duals. can anyone tell me how to do this, or little tips to cut down just a tad on the interior drone.

still debating if im gonna put the tail pipes back on
Travis
Old 06-04-2004, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Try a few sheets of Dynamat. Before my recent header damage, my car had next to no interior resonance except for a slight amount on decel in certain gears. I have dynamat in the back hatch, and used to have some under my console. Now that I care about the extra weight I've been removing it as I pull parts out. Raceweight Seriously though, it works well.

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited by distortion_69; 06-04-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by distortion_69
Try a few sheets of Dynomax. Before my recent header damage, my car had next to no interior resonance except for a slight amount on decel in certain gears. I have dynomax in the back hatch, and used to have some under my console. Now that I care about the extra weight I've been removing it as I pull parts out. Raceweight Seriously though, it works well.

Thanks,
Josh
You mean Dynamat, right? Because a couple Dynomax bullets can cause all kinds of resonance http://www.dynamat.com/

In general people angle the turndowns about 45* to the outside of the car to prevent the reverberation off the ground. When I had my duals (with dumps) built, the guy told me that if you point the turndowns toward one another its actually quieter since there is come sound cancellation. I opted for facing them 45* outboard, so I can't confirm or deny that claim myself. In my case I didn't really care about noise and I felt that with the tips angled outboard the exhaust would get out from under the car better.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
You mean Dynamat, right? Because a couple Dynomax bullets can cause all kinds of resonance http://www.dynamat.com/

In general people angle the turndowns about 45* to the outside of the car to prevent the reverberation off the ground. When I had my duals (with dumps) built, the guy told me that if you point the turndowns toward one another its actually quieter since there is come sound cancellation. I opted for facing them 45* outboard, so I can't confirm or deny that claim myself. In my case I didn't really care about noise and I felt that with the tips angled outboard the exhaust would get out from under the car better.

thats what i was thinking as well, pointing them outwards and i've been contemplating putting some seal 'n peal from home depot under the carwhere the exhaust might hit the underside of the car.

Im still debating keeping the dumps or putting in tail pipes though. Im just really uncertain about local authorities. honestly im not too worried about the sound now as much as i am without having tips it would pull in some possible unwanted attention, but it sounds so damn sweet. at lower rpms it really aint bad at all, but the more rpms i add, jesus h. christ, its loud.

but soooo much fun
Old 06-04-2004, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

I meant dynamat, I was listening to the damn ls1sounds sight when I wrote that.. musta carried over the word dynomax.. Heh. I assure you I'm not that stupid. It actually says the name on it, and I've seen it a zillion times. BTW: Mine are facing slightly towards each other.

Peace,
Josh

Last edited by distortion_69; 06-05-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Switch to Borla XR1s... I have no interior drone and its literally about 25% as loud as the bullets from inside the car, also much deeper! Cost is higher, but I had the bullets for 2 days before ripping them off and switching to XR1s... I have many others switching now as well!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by distortion_69
I meant dynamat, I was listening to the damn ls1sounds sight when I wrote that.. musta carried over the word dynomax.. Heh. I assure you I'm not that stupid. It actually says the name on it, and I've seen it a zillion times. BTW: Mine are facing slightly towards from each other.

Peace,
Josh
I know, I was j/k. I've had Dynomax on the brain too the last couple of weeks...
Old 06-07-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a cam and duals my change bounces in the cupholder, but I like it.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tips are angle outward on my setup. No reasonance or drone.

Quick Reply: interior drone w/ dumped duals...