Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed LS6 intake manifold + slp air lid - idle now funny

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed LS6 intake manifold + slp air lid - idle now funny

Today I installed an LS6 intake manifold and an SLP air lid on my 1999 Camaro 6-speed with 36k miles on it.

I cleaned the MAF at the same time and throttle body.

The idle is really off now. All injectors are hooked back up, all harnesses plugged in. What would be causing this issue?

I do not hear any obvious knocking or odd noises from the engine bay, just that the motor is idling really funny and dying at stops during a drive.

Is there an idle reset procedure?
Old 06-19-2015, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Possible vacuum leak
Old 06-19-2015, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

I looked at all the lines and they all look plugged in. I had to replace a little rear elbow type hose that connected between the back of the manifold and the car with a longer spare hose I had knocking around.

The car is now throwing multiple codes:

P0108 - MAP Pressure Circuit High Input
P0300 - Random Misfire
Old 06-19-2015, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

maybe you were a little too generous with your cleaning solvents?
Old 06-19-2015, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Its possible that I may have sprayed too much MAF cleaner on the MAF... Damn I shouldn't have bothered cleaning it at all?

I just did a PCM reset and the car seems to be running more smooth now, but the idle is still wonky. It idles high for a while on its own then drops down, but is not stalling out now.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you replace all 8 intake seals with new ones? If not, that could be the source of your problem if the intake isn't sealed to the heads properly...
Old 06-19-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

On the passenger side there is a vacuum line wrapped in foam, that is not one solid line, I had mine disconnect at about the #4 cylinder, let me know if you want me to post a pic, it's a bigger line so I would think you would be able to hear it but just another idea.
Also you could give the iacv a cleaning

Last edited by 98CayenneT/A; 06-21-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Also for your 108 code make sure you did not break one of the wires in the harness that plug into the map sensor.
I had the middle wire break in the harness and did not know because there was no slack. I don't think it will cause idling issues but it will throw a code
Old 06-20-2015, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by paradigmGT
Today I installed an LS6 intake manifold and an SLP air lid on my 1999 Camaro 6-speed with 36k miles on it.

I cleaned the MAF at the same time and throttle body.

The idle is really off now. All injectors are hooked back up, all harnesses plugged in. What would be causing this issue?

I do not hear any obvious knocking or odd noises from the engine bay, just that the motor is idling really funny and dying at stops during a drive.

Is there an idle reset procedure?

How bad was the gasket on the Map sensor. I know last time I did mine the gasket got a little torn and caused the idle to mess up. Replaced it and haven't had an issue since.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Guys I just realised something. When I pulled out my LS1 intake manifold, all I saw was this in the rear hole of the manifold.

http://s24.postimg.org/5305xeevp/map_sensor.jpg

Looks like the MAP sensor broke off but left the seal in there?

Because this is my first time doing this swap, I had NO IDEA that there was supposed to be a sensor, so I simply took that seal and threw it on the LS6 intake and re-installed it to my car!!!!!!

So I am thinking that this broken off MAP sensor is the source of my problems.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
Did you replace all 8 intake seals with new ones? If not, that could be the source of your problem if the intake isn't sealed to the heads properly...
Apparently the LS6 intake manifold I had came with upgraded seals that are re-usable so I re-used them.

I am certain the source of my issue is the MAP sensor. The little plastic piece that attaches to it broke off into my LS1 intake when I was removing it (I must have been too harsh in removing it and forced the MAP sensor to break).

God damn now I need to buy a new MAP sensor. A picture of my broken MAP sensor:

Now I am going to have to RE-DO THE ENTIRE INSTALL of the LS6 intake just to remove that small piece of the MAP sensor stuck in the intake that I foolishly transferred from the LS1 to the LS6 because I thought it was some sort of seal. God I feel like an idiot and I hate this.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

hey at least it wont take as long since you know how to do it LOL
Old 06-21-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Apparently the LS6 intake manifold I had came with upgraded seals that are re-usable so I re-used them. I am certain the source of my issue is the MAP sensor. The little plastic piece that attaches to it broke off into my LS1 intake when I was removing it (I must have been too harsh in removing it and forced the MAP sensor to break). God damn now I need to buy a new MAP sensor. A picture of my broken MAP sensor: Now I am going to have to RE-DO THE ENTIRE INSTALL of the LS6 intake just to remove that small piece of the MAP sensor stuck in the intake that I foolishly transferred from the LS1 to the LS6 because I thought it was some sort of seal. God I feel like an idiot and I hate this.
More people on here have screwed stuff up and not admitted it than you can imagine. You're in good company. Just take your time. Watch out you don't also break the OPSU with the brake booster hose
Old 06-21-2015, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Apparently the LS6 intake manifold I had came with upgraded seals that are re-usable so I re-used them.

I am certain the source of my issue is the MAP sensor. The little plastic piece that attaches to it broke off into my LS1 intake when I was removing it (I must have been too harsh in removing it and forced the MAP sensor to break).

God damn now I need to buy a new MAP sensor. A picture of my broken MAP sensor:

Now I am going to have to RE-DO THE ENTIRE INSTALL of the LS6 intake just to remove that small piece of the MAP sensor stuck in the intake that I foolishly transferred from the LS1 to the LS6 because I thought it was some sort of seal. God I feel like an idiot and I hate this.
Don't feel bad, I ruined a good short block when I was installing heads, a map sensor is small potatoes
Old 06-25-2015, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

We all make mistakes, I have ruined my fair share of parts. I hate admitting it though.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Ended up pulling the manifold, replacing the MAP sensor and having to replace one gasket on an intake port, and the car is running great again.

Can't wait to get it tuned to remove the codes thrown by the missing rear 02's and EGR/AIR system when I installed the long tube headers.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Ended up pulling the manifold, replacing the MAP sensor and having to replace one gasket on an intake port, and the car is running great again.

Can't wait to get it tuned to remove the codes thrown by the missing rear 02's and EGR/AIR system when I installed the long tube headers.
Good to hear!

Quick Reply: installed LS6 intake manifold + slp air lid - idle now funny