Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP pulley install complete

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ASP pulley install complete

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I'd like to add some input in hopes of helping other noobs. The one tool I found that made this install much easier - a heavy duty impact. A good friend of mine is a tech and let me borrow his Ingersol Rand impact, it loosened the crank pulley bolt w/o any fuss. I didn't have to worry about the crank spinning while trying to loosen it. That was a HUGE help. Also, I pulled out my cooling fans - gave me a lot more room to work with and allowed me to get my head in there to see what was going on. Lastly, spend the money for an ARP bolt. They have a relief in them that the 3 jaw puller sets in and is a bit longer which helps when removing the stock pulley/balancer. I did the install by myself, on my back w/o a lift. Took me about 4 hours total... that includes picking up the shop and putting all of my tools away. It was actually easier than I had thought it was going to be.

Hopefully this will help someone with their install in the future.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yours is also a '00 model which might make a difference, i had a '99 model that the pulley bolt came right out with a $30 CH impact, Then on my wifes '01 model the bolt would not come out with my IR composite impact which is a million times stronger than my old pos ever thought about being.

Clint
Old 06-06-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 hours?!?! Thats a long time in my book. Anyways, I cant wait to get mine. Did you notice any gains?
Old 06-06-2004, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

I get my 4 hours by counting the time I opened the door on the shop until the last tool was put away. Last night at the track was a joke, 79*, 93% humidity, and to make things even worse... no track prep what so ever. I'm going to wait until it cools down to race again. I have the newer SFi version, it didn't feel any lighter than the stock pulley. Because of the track conditions, it's hard to say if it helped me or not. Not to mention my 3rd Gen car is screaming for my attention.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Felt as heavy as stock? Huh? Are you sure. I heard it's nearly half the weight of the stocker
Old 06-06-2004, 11:40 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats still a long *** time, even the way you counted. i did my asp during my cam install and i cant see doing just the pulley should take more then an hour at most. i used a 24mm socket, 24" 1/2 driver breaker bar, and had the bolt off in minutes. the biggest pain was using the 3" arm pulley puller. removing an asp pulley is alot faster since it used a screw pulley
Old 06-07-2004, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Felt as heavy as stock? Huh? Are you sure. I heard it's nearly half the weight of the stocker
I'm positive, it's the newer SFi version. The older ones that were two piece with an aluminum center hub... those are lighter I'm sure. I'm happy for everyone that likes to post about how they did theirs in less time - big deal.