Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine vibration comes and goes??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine vibration comes and goes??

I recently had an engine vibration come into play with my 99 Z28 A4. I was leaving a parking lot with a steep incline and while turning out into the street I developed an engine vibration. After going down the street it dissappeared. Now today it returned and stayed. Again I was leaving a steep inclined parking lot while turning and it returned and stayed. The vibration is prominent at lower rpms but is still noticeable while getting into the higher range. Ruling out driveline (trans mounts, U-joints, torque converter) and thinking it might be my motor mounts or vibration dampener. I wanting to pull more towards the motor mounts but any advice would be soooooo awesome. If it's something worse that would end up being detrimental to the car I won't drive it. I LOVE this car and want it to last. I have been searching the forums but haven't found anything concrete, again any help would be super gnarly.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

If it comes and goes, is there any chance your maybe getting a dead cylinder intermittently? If you have access to a temp gun, shoot your headers/manifolds. I have, and still chase a intermittent vibration on my S10 swap though, and have checked and replaced everything. I have had other shops check it as well, and no one has actually found it.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the above, or it could be simpler. Add a resonator to the exhaust. The resonation can cause vibration and then is felt throughout the car, especially with worn motor mounts or if the exhaust is touching the frame. Had this issue in my old truck, changed exhaust and it went away. Just my .02.

Quick Reply: Engine vibration comes and goes??