Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having High Idle issues need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Having High Idle issues need help

I had a question in the tuning section, but I think it's more suited to this section after some of my findings

I have an extremely high idle on a newly transplanted motor in my 71 Camaro..idle is around 1500 - 1800 RPM and has touched 2000 at some points

- I replaced the intake gaskets to be sure, no change

- Checked for vacuum leaks all look good

- Checked throttle plate, it's in it's resting position

- Ran a HP tuners scan, IAC is running steps of 150-300 but not dropping below that. It did hit 0 for a second but that's it. IAC is completely pulled in when I removed it.

- Plugged the IAC hole on the TB, started the car...and it ran a smooth 650-800 RPM and purred like a kitten. Put the IAC back in and it jumped back up to 1500 or more RPM.

I'm leaning towards a bad IAC, but wanted to see if there was something else I might be overlooking. These things aren't cheap so I wanted to be sure before buying one

It's just bugging me that the problem fixes itself when I remove the IAC and plug the hole...but I can't drive the car like that lol
Old 07-01-2015, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

went ahead and replaced the IAC , the new one seems to be extending out and going back as intended so in theory it "should" work.

However when I start the engine it starts at 1000 and jumps to 1500, then climbs to 2000 RPM

I'm totally stumped now
Old 07-01-2015, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok...since I replaced the IAC The car will jump in RPM and climb drastically to around 1500-2000 rpm....but if I turn the car off, unplug the IAC and turn it back on it holds steady at around 1000 rpm

Any ideas? I really need some help with this and doing my best to try and troubleshoot but it's getting frustrating
Old 07-01-2015, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got it fixed, I bought that new IAC and was still having issues so I decided to swap out the stock TB for the aftermarket polished one I bought a few years ago.

Started right up, idling a hair below 1000 rpm and staying there. I swapped this aftermarket for a OEM one a while back when I was troubleshooting but I guess the IAC was bad then, and the used original TB I bought have had issues as well.

All is good now

Quick Reply: Having High Idle issues need help