Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cars dumps are too loud. best/cheap way to quiet it down?

Old 07-05-2015, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New cars dumps are too loud. best/cheap way to quiet it down?

So I bought a car from a member here. I've always been used to my stock 99 SS with SLP dual duals.

The 98 Z28 I bought is far from stock and puts down well over an extra 100hp to the wheels. While I love the way the car sounds, it is far too loud to be my daily driver. The car has Speed Inc 1 7/8" long tube race headers running into an H pipe (no cats) with Sweet Thunder mufflers dumped before the rear axle. Conversation in the car is difficult (near impossible during acceleration) and makes listening to music over the car impossible. And the drone in high gears is horrific.

I've been reading up the past few days about exhaust setups and the quietest mufflers. It seems the popular opinion are Magnaflows. Would changing to Magnaflows be enough to make the cabin of the car tolerable for conversation and music? I'm fine with the car terrifying children and the elderly at WOT, I just want it tolerable in the cabin and bearable on long drives.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in all honesty no lol. dumps are going to be loud no matter what you do. mainly for 2 reasons. one is that the sound is echoing off the road and body of the car making the cabin noise level high. the next reason is that even though many dont realize it the tail pipe after the muffler helps dissipate a lot of noise.

if it were me i would just start over, an h pipe frankly isnt all that great on an fbody, an x pipe would be suited a lot better.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:58 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree to an extent. The Magnaflow 14419's are an amazing bullet. I like them a LOT more than Borla XR1's. There's more packing, and have a deeper tone.

Something else that helps GREATLY is to ensure the turn downs are angled down at 45* towards the outside of the car... Kinda pointing towards the tires.

/ \ as such. It makes a big difference by cutting down on the reverb from the road.

But yes, the 14419's will clean up the sound a lot, and give you back the "tone" you don't have now.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your best bet is just to switch to a Y pipe and go with a quieter catback such as hooker or magnaflow.

I was running duals dumped with 1 chamber flowmasters. The sound was amazing. Nothing is gonna beat the sound of duals.

But it was very loud. Didnt wanna risk getting pulled over. So i switched to a y pipe and corsa catback.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I agree to an extent. The Magnaflow 14419's are an amazing bullet. I like them a LOT more than Borla XR1's. There's more packing, and have a deeper tone.

Something else that helps GREATLY is to ensure the turn downs are angled down at 45* towards the outside of the car... Kinda pointing towards the tires.

/ \ as such. It makes a big difference by cutting down on the reverb from the road.

But yes, the 14419's will clean up the sound a lot, and give you back the "tone" you don't have now.
The magnaflows are def a step in the right direction. In the bumper they are excellent but underneath the car I still think he's going to be too loud for his liking. Plus i think the magnaflows are 1xx a piece? By the time he does that and has an exhaust shop modify everything to fit, thats a quite a bit of money to go towards a new system.

Idk just thinking out loud here lol.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:32 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
The magnaflows are def a step in the right direction. In the bumper they are excellent but underneath the car I still think he's going to be too loud for his liking. Plus i think the magnaflows are 1xx a piece? By the time he does that and has an exhaust shop modify everything to fit, thats a quite a bit of money to go towards a new system.

Idk just thinking out loud here lol.
No no, that's what it's all about. Bouncing ideas around. I PM'd him where to get them with a BIG discount.

A lot of it has to do with angling the tips though. It really does make a substantial difference.

And yes, one chambers are border line obnoxious, lol
Old 07-05-2015, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From reading the sticky, it seems some have ran exhaust UNDER the axle. Has anyone had any success doing this? I imagine that in addition to the Magnaflows, just a few inches of extra pipe whether it extends past the axle or not would help as well. And banking the outlets 45 degrees instead of at the road.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3" dumped duals with Magnaflow #11219 4x9 mufflers on my car. The exhaust is extremely quiet as far as dumped dual exhausts go. Has deep muscle car rumble, very mild exhaust volume at idle and cruising, but come alive at WOT. I wouldn't trade this setup for anything else.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobsZ28
I have 3" dumped duals with Magnaflow #11219 4x9 mufflers on my car. The exhaust is extremely quiet as far as dumped dual exhausts go. Has deep muscle car rumble, very mild exhaust volume at idle and cruising, but come alive at WOT. I wouldn't trade this setup for anything else.

Nice setup Rob. I've been wondering if I have enough clearance to run an actual oval muffler since the hangers the previous owner used do not hold the piping up against the car. I'm tempted to try and risk it anyway though instead of just switching brands and getting another bullet style. I'll have to get some pics under the car for some opinions.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Regardless whether you stick with true duals or go with a factory routing cat-back exhaust you need larger muffler/s.
The most foolproof and best fitting option to quiet it down is to just get a Y-pipe and a cat-back exhaust.
Imo, that's what I'd do.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had a few different duals set ups LM2s Fm 1 chambers and Borlas. All were loud and droned. You can make it quieter than what you have but any dumped exhaust will drone. I've also had magnaflow bullets on a single 4" and still was to loud. Out of all the exhaust set ups I've had my personal choice is a hooker catback with a 4" I pipe and cutout reduced back to the 3" hpoker. I can be quiet with good sound but open the cutout when I race or want to rattle pictures off walls. I've been 10.74 at 129 with 523/487 and a 6 speed through a 4" cutout so I don't think it's a restriction. Just an idea
Old 07-06-2015, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

I got to agree with VandykeT/A, this would probably be the best compromise between high flow loud / daily driver friendly at the touch of a switch. That's if you can afford the additional cost( 3"/4" Y-pipe merger, 4" cut-out, 4" electric cut-out, cut-out turn-down, 4" to 3" reducer, labor to install it.) .
Old 07-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Dumped exhaust is loud and drones, period. I have catted true duals, under axle with moroso spiral flow bullets run out tailpipes. No drone, nice volume.
Put bullets like that, magnaflow or borla and run tailpipes. It will be so much more bearable
Old 07-06-2015, 06:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by KingJacobo
Dumped exhaust is loud and drones, period. I have catted true duals, under axle with moroso spiral flow bullets run out tailpipes. No drone, nice volume.
Put bullets like that, magnaflow or borla and run tailpipes. It will be so much more bearable
I disagree, I have dumped exhaust and it isn't loud or has any drone. The problem is the bullet style mufflers and no turn downs or turn downs pointing wrong direction, not the exhaust being dumped. Put a real muffler on, and use turn down that point the exhaust tones out from under the car. Then you can eliminate drone and unbearable exhaust volume and keep dumped dual exhaust.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I got quoted 150$ parts and labor (not including the mufflers) to redo the exhaust starting from the header phalanges back to where the dumps would be using chambered Magnaflows like in RobZ28's setup. Is this a reasonable price? What should I watch out for for the shop to possibly mess up?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the 11219s have different inlet and outlets sizes? I need to know which kind to get. Also, anyone have an opinion on the labor price I was quoted above?
Old 07-08-2015, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Whisper
Do the 11219s have different inlet and outlets sizes? I need to know which kind to get. Also, anyone have an opinion on the labor price I was quoted above?
That's a part number for a muffler, so it'll only have one spec. I would assume 3inch in/out.

As for what to look out for?

Stuff hanging too low, a quality X pipe and materials used.

- Drew
Old 07-08-2015, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by typedRew
That's a part number for a muffler, so it'll only have one spec. I would assume 3inch in/out.

As for what to look out for?

Stuff hanging too low, a quality X pipe and materials used.

- Drew
Thanks. I was thinking of issues such as them messing up an oxygen sensor or having an outlet for one, getting around lines, stuff like that. The current setup definitely fits the hanging too low problem. Ideally Id want it tucked up with nice phalanges like Rob gas.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the mufflers came in yesterday and I called the shop and they said the largest diameter pipes they can put on my car are 2.25 inch. Obviously this isn't ideal but would it really matter for power? The bigger concern is that the Magnaflow mufflers I got (11219s) are 3 inch inlet/outlet. Will this/any shop be able to make 2.25 inch piping work or do I have to find someone who has 3 inch available?
Old 07-14-2015, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't do 2.25" pipe. You want at least 2.5" pipe. I'd put the project on hold until you can find another shop, even if it means you have to drive quit a bit further to get it done.
If there's any performance shops fairly close to you, see if any of them do custom exhaust systems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New cars dumps are too loud. best/cheap way to quiet it down?