Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Race Headers.....Black Ceramic Coated...PICTURES INSIDE.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Race Headers.....Black Ceramic Coated...PICTURES INSIDE.....

So...they came out friggin perfect. This shop did an unbelievable job.

They inspected all the welds and said they are actually very good welds, sealed nicely from both sides. I was going to have them add extra weld if necessary but they said there was no reason to touch them.

Name:  header.2_zpsnwlribio.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  192.1 KB

Name:  header.1_zpszzflzp3t.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  221.2 KB

Name:  header.3_zpshp3pemw8.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  header.4_zpss2kdcpi9.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  164.9 KB

Name:  header.5_zpsx5ddbykz.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  181.6 KB

Old 07-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Banned

.......So with that all said......you guys (Speed Engineering) really need to do something about your packaging. I remember a couple guys in the other thread complained about damage to their collectors from shipping....

Well, its definitely your packaging. My box had 5 tears in it with the headers sticking out. One of the collectors was bent pretty bad and the shop had to repair it. Also, a portion of the pipes were sticking out of one of the holes and they were scratched up and the plastic bag that they came wrapped in was ripped open. The other openings were one of the flanges sticking out and the other collector.

I suggest you cap off the collectors with something because they are sharp and cut right through the box......also put another layer of cardboard inbetween the headers in the box so they are not rubbing and banging metal-to-metal during shipping. You need a thicker walled box....this box is very cheap. The box needs foam or bubble wrap filling after they are put into the box....they were just loosely packed and had a lot of room to move around freely.

JUST SAYING......headers are pretty damn nice, built well.......get them to the customers undamaged from now on.....

Name:  box%20hole.1_zpsa2lcwpa1.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  244.1 KB

Name:  box%20hole.3_zpsrmo7wybr.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  191.0 KB

Name:  box%20hole.2_zpsxztcurjk.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  254.3 KB

Old 07-10-2015, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice. I thought about ceramic coating mine but passed. I thought the welds looked great on mine too. Best quality you can buy for the money in my opinion. Now you just got to install them! They fit perfectly

Just to add mine were packaged very well with no tears and no banging inside the box. That looks bad.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
Looks nice. I thought about ceramic coating mine but passed. I thought the welds looked great on mine too. Best quality you can buy for the money in my opinion. Now you just got to install them! They fit perfectly

Just to add mine were packaged very well with no tears and no banging inside the box. That looks bad.
Hopefully tomorrow we'll put them on. If not next Saturday. Then have the exhaust shop adjust my current custom Y pipe to match up.

Open header drive over there I guess......about 15 miles.

I did the ceramic because I know a few guys without the coating and there engine compartment is way hotter than mine gets. And you can't even put your hands close to their pipes after they are hot. My current ceramic coated Grot headers cool off in minutes so you can touch them and they put off pretty much no heat at all.
I chose the black ceramic because its good to 2,000*F and I'll be boosting or spraying it soon.....

Old 07-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro

LOL....yea....it looks like the box fell off the truck a few times along the way. But when you look at the tears....they were all from tight packaging and the sharp collectors and pointy spots of the flange is what broke the box holes open.......

Old 07-10-2015, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
.......So with that all said......you guys (Speed Engineering) really need to do something about your packaging. I remember a couple guys in the other thread complained about damage to their collectors from shipping....

Well, its definitely your packaging. My box had 5 tears in it with the headers sticking out. One of the collectors was bent pretty bad and the shop had to repair it. Also, a portion of the pipes were sticking out of one of the holes and they were scratched up and the plastic bag that they came wrapped in was ripped open. The other openings were one of the flanges sticking out and the other collector.

I suggest you cap off the collectors with something because they are sharp and cut right through the box......also put another layer of cardboard inbetween the headers in the box so they are not rubbing and banging metal-to-metal during shipping. You need a thicker walled box....this box is very cheap. The box needs foam or bubble wrap filling after they are put into the box....they were just loosely packed and had a lot of room to move around freely.

JUST SAYING......headers are pretty damn nice, built well.......get them to the customers undamaged from now on.....

Chinese cardboard. That said those things came out looking awesome. Pretty cool that ceramic coating has so many color options now.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

My headers arrived in the same type of box in the same condition. I hope yours fit better than mine did.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
My headers arrived in the same type of box in the same condition. I hope yours fit better than mine did.
What installation issues have you run into...?

The bolt holes in the flange are too large....the bolts rattle around in the holes. No way to line up the flanges perfectly. But they will be very close.
The GM gaskets of course have perfect sized bolt holes....that will help a little to line them up....but not completely centered on all the exhaust ports.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

How much did the coating cost you they look awesome
Old 07-15-2015, 11:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
How much did the coating cost you they look awesome
$345 for the 2,000*F black ceramic.

I also noticed today that the Speed Engineering headers LITERALLY feel about half the weight of my Grotyohan headers....both 1 7/8". At least thats just by feel from holding them both.......

Last edited by LS6427; 07-15-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:52 PM
Banned

My headers arrived in the same type of box in the same condition.
Strange that SEED ENGINEERING doesn't reply here about changing to a better box and internal packing protection of the product.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

What installation issues have you run into...?

The headers actually fit really well. The problem I had was the drivers header was angled up towards the floor board really bad. I had to hack the **** out of my y pipe and flatten it out to make it fit.

Apparently there was a batch that had this problem but had since been corrected.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:01 AM
Banned

The headers actually fit really well. The problem I had was the drivers header was angled up towards the floor board really bad. I had to hack the **** out of my y pipe and flatten it out to make it fit.

Apparently there was a batch that had this problem but had since been corrected.
Damn....when did you buy yours......?

We took my old headers off today....putting the Speed Eng headers on tomorrow.

Did the drivers side header go right up in there...? I really don't want to mess up my ceramic coating getting them in....my old Grots were HELL-HELL-HELL to get out. We had to cut them and smash them in places to get them out.

Did you find the large oversized bolt holes in the flanges an issue when bolting them up....?

Old 07-16-2015, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice. I thought about ceramic coating mine but passed.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

LS6427: The headers look great..

Ya, unfortunately those are the only boxes offered to us. Most of the time they show up just fine, but every now and then we see this. Believe it or not we really only have 2-3 damage claims on our headers in a year. I will talk with them again however on packaging. Maybe we'll have better luck this time.

Thanks
Sean
Old 07-16-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Those look great.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:22 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be the box...

Could be a disgruntled employee...

We use double corrugated boxes and still have UPS drivers treating them like frisbees. They flat out destroy the boxes and simply don't care. People always blame packaging, but its usually the people mis-handling them that cause the problems. Thus, the reason UPS typically pays on damage claims; it's primarily them to blame.

- Beau
Old 07-16-2015, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that dude found his wife in bed with another man the night before. I conclude no other reason in my head for that! he did not care one single iota, nothing makes a man care less than infidelity
Old 07-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sales4@Texas-Speed
Could be the box...

Could be a disgruntled employee...

We use double corrugated boxes and still have UPS drivers treating them like frisbees. They flat out destroy the boxes and simply don't care. People always blame packaging, but its usually the people mis-handling them that cause the problems. Thus, the reason UPS typically pays on damage claims; it's primarily them to blame.

- Beau
So wait that's not normal? Lol, we had a substitute UPS pickup driver one day dropping our header boxes from about 3 foot up. I about threw him out of the truck lol. Needless to say I cant imagine what they go through in warehouses when customers are not watching.

Sean
Old 07-16-2015, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Damn....when did you buy yours......?

We took my old headers off today....putting the Speed Eng headers on tomorrow.

Did the drivers side header go right up in there...? I really don't want to mess up my ceramic coating getting them in....my old Grots were HELL-HELL-HELL to get out. We had to cut them and smash them in places to get them out.

Did you find the large oversized bolt holes in the flanges an issue when bolting them up....?

It was a couple years ago.

I took the steering shaft out when I put the drivers side in.

I didn't have any problems with the holes being larger.

I used locking flange bolts. The flange was pretty big so it wasn't an issue.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Race Headers.....Black Ceramic Coated...PICTURES INSIDE.....