Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 92mm intake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FAST 92mm intake question

Has anyone here ever taken a FAST 92mm intake completely apart ??

If so I have some questions for you.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I tried taking one apart that was epoxied together, but was very unsuccessful lol
Old 07-13-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just need to know where the gaskets go on the intake....
Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what gaskets? the only real re-useable gaskets are the port gaskets and tb seal. the orange gasket to seal the pieces together is a disposable rope seal you have to buy from fast. it comes in a large roll and you cut it to length and put it into the individual channels
Old 07-13-2015, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redbird555
what gaskets? the only real re-useable gaskets are the port gaskets and tb seal. the orange gasket to seal the pieces together is a disposable rope seal you have to buy from fast. it comes in a large roll and you cut it to length and put it into the individual channels
My point EXACTLY.....

DOES that rope seal go into the channels on top of the middle piece before installing the top cover portion of the intake ??????
Old 07-13-2015, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KSS
My point EXACTLY.....

DOES that rope seal go into the channels on top of the middle piece before installing the top cover portion of the intake ??????
yes it does, Remember to use rtv at every rope joint, and a new razor blade. You get about 6-8" extra when you get a new seal, Super easy job.

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 07-13-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
yes it does, Remember to use rtv at every rope joint, and a new razor blade. You get about 6-8" extra when you get a new seal, Super easy job.

DAMN you're a life saver !!! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Now my LAST question...
When I installed the top shell of the intake and tightened down the 6-8 screws and nuts on the ends of the intake, the center portion of the top shell did not completely meet the base portion. Did I miss something or do something wrong ??
Old 07-14-2015, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

I noticed that when I was putting mine together. When I pulled my intake from the box, it wasn't bolted tight, I think they tell you to open it up and inspect the rope seal.

I replaced the rope seal and rtv'd the joints and let it sit for a few days to cure. Then I only tightened the bolts up halfway, and torqued the intake down in multiple passes before I tightened those six outer bolts. That way the clamping force went from the center of the intake - outwards so that it didn't "bunch up" in the center like that. That's the way I have always done them with zero problems.

When you torque it down, the shell will close up, I prefer to do it the way I said above. It is still basically the way the book says to torque an intake, just leave the end bolts till last to give the shell the freedom to move and reduce stress.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is what mine looks like right now.... Is this right ????

Old 07-14-2015, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

The new rope seal is pretty strong since it has never been squished. Use the long center bolts with nuts and washers like they ship the intake to you and tighten them down a bit for a few days to help squish the rope seal.

Or just keep the outer bolts loose and slowly tighten the intake down and save the outer bolts for last like I mentioned above. That new rope seal is strong and with there being no clamping force in the center, it will lift like that. That does look a little excessive though. Do it the way I mentioned and you will be fine.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
The new rope seal is pretty strong since it has never been squished. Use the long center bolts with nuts and washers like they ship the intake to you and tighten them down a bit for a few days to help squish the rope seal.

Or just keep the outer bolts loose and slowly tighten the intake down and save the outer bolts for last like I mentioned above. That new rope seal is strong and with there being no clamping force in the center, it will lift like that. That does look a little excessive though. Do it the way I mentioned and you will be fine.

Will do and thanks for your help and input !!

Quick Reply: FAST 92mm intake question