Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty header interior

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty header interior

I purchased a set of shorty headers for my 99 Camaro and noticed a major potential design flaw.

I noticed when I got them that the exit flanges on both sides of the manifolds (the part that connects to the y-pipe) have quite a thick lip/ledge on the inner edge. I'm concerned that it will interrupt exhaust flow and cause turbulence which would in turn rob me of HP rather than increase it. Stock manifolds have a smooth transition from the inner pipe to where the exit flange is welded on. The way these are set up, the flange opening is smaller than the diameter of the pipe just before the flange, so there's a deep/sharp sudden ledge on the inside around the opening of the exit where the y-pipe connects. In other words, it would appear that the exit flange is too small for the pipe it's welded onto.

Did anyone else who has shorties also receive them like this? It just doesn't seem right at all.

Please don't try and dissuade me from installing shorties, I have my reasons for installing these instead of LTs. I already know the significant hp difference between them.
Attached Thumbnails Shorty header interior-img_20150804_205215.jpg   Shorty header interior-img_20150804_205221.jpg   Shorty header interior-img_20150804_205256.jpg   Shorty header interior-img_20150804_205303.jpg   Shorty header interior-img_20150804_210551.jpg  

Shorty header interior-img_20150804_212230.jpg   Shorty header interior-img_20150804_212249.jpg  

Last edited by 00-Z28; 08-06-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

sorry, id like to dissuade you.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I would dissuade you from installing THOSE shorty headers.

Or open up those flanges, maybe even weld on new flanges or V-bands.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What brand are these? If I were staying in CA I would be buying a set of JBAs so I don't judge, but that just doesn't look like a quality set?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
I would dissuade you from installing THOSE shorty headers.

Or open up those flanges, maybe even weld on new flanges or V-bands.
Yeah, I'm not comfortable installing these headers the way they are. I was thinking about just taking them somewhere to have the inner part of the flange ground down, without increasing the actual diameter of the opening, to make it a smooth, sloped transition into the Y pipe.

Originally Posted by blackandgold
What brand are these? If I were staying in CA I would be buying a set of JBAs so I don't judge, but that just doesn't look like a quality set?
I didn't really want to drop any names until I confirmed with the company that this is how their shorties usually come, but they're BBK shorties. I went with them because they're the only ones with 1 3/4 primaries, all other shorty brands are 1 5/8. I also thought BBK put out decent products, especially since I like their SSI intake, but I don't trust the design of these headers at all.

Has anyone seen the inside of JBA, hooker, or any other major brand name shorty headers? I can't imagine them designing their headers like this.

I'm still talking with one of BBK's reps as well.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

The JBAs I held were not like that. I wouldn't expect BBKs to look like that either, sounds like you're on your way to getting it resolved though. Update us with how they handle it.

Out of curiosity are you going shorty to meet a smog requirement?
Old 08-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

The JBAs I held were not like that. I wouldn't expect BBKs to look like that either, sounds like you're on your way to getting it resolved though. Update us with how they handle it.

Out of curiosity are you going shorty to meet a smog requirement?
I really don't think there's much they can or will do about it. From what I was told, it sounds like this is how their headers are made. I'm not giving up yet though.

I don't know many people who run BBK shorties, so finding out what others did or if theirs are any different is hard.

As far as why I'm going with shorties, I really prefer not to say. I'm trying to keep this thread concentrated on the problem at hand, I don't want it turning into a debate as to why shorties suck and so on and so forth. Hope you don't mind.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hooker now has 1 7/8 shorties that hook to their full length true dual exhaust. I would seriously check them out first
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ming-soon.html
Old 08-07-2015, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

In case you want to look at an alternative, here's an image of the collectors on the new Hooker mid-length headers.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, I got a set like that off eBay - there was a ton of
small time outfits selling them, I got mine from "Zomkspeed"
and among other gripes, the "stainless" was not at all such;
rusted like mild steel, just sitting in the shed. And the same
heinous lip at the exits along with lousy primary welds.

I never did install them, gave them away to somebody.

The JBAs are much cleaner design. But you pay for it, out
of proportion to any direct performance improvement.
Unless you have the patience to wait for used ones to show
up.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't waste the time on the install.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
I wouldn't waste the time on the install.
Based on his username I'd say he has a 2000, if OP had bought some JBAs I'd disagree since they are a really well made piece. But I'll second this based on the pictures of the tubes.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

I'm definitely not installing these the way they are. If I can bring it somewhere to slope the inside of the flange and make it a smooth transition for cheap, then I'll go for it. I really did like the quality of the JBAs, but the price is ridiculous for a shorty header! For me, it's just not worth it when considering the $ to HP ratio.

I didn't get anywhere with BBK either. They're not going to admit that their product is a flawed piece of garbage, and they're clearly not going to do anything about it, so that's that. I'll probably return them if I can't get them modified for a good price.

I wouldn't recommend BBK shorties to anyone. Very poorly designed. I don't know why they decided to skimp on the LS1 shorties, but most of their shorty headers for mustangs don't appear to have this design flaw in it...very frustrating.

Last edited by 00-Z28; 08-12-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Based on his username I'd say he has a 2000, if OP had bought some JBAs I'd disagree since they are a really well made piece. But I'll second this based on the pictures of the tubes.
No, it's a 99 SS. I had a 2000 Z28 when I opened the account. If I had a 2000+ I probably wouldn't bother getting shorties since those years came with the better flowing exhaust manifolds.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Well, take it as a sign from the heavens. Have those crappy flanges cut off and replaced with V-bands... It's time to flip those things forward and mount some snails!

Quick Reply: Shorty header interior