Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I benefit from a larger lid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Would I benefit from a larger lid?

I've received a recommendation to upgrade my Fast Toys lid from 85mm to 104mm for additional performance. I'd like to know who has upgraded from a smaller lid to the 104 (without changing any other parts) and what proven differences you noticed other than a lighter wallet. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2015, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Looking at your combo it appears you do have a larger MAF but going into a 92mm tb and ls3 intake?

Do you have access to a scanning software? If so turn the key on engine off and record the MAP sensor pressure reading in ambient air. Then do some WOT pulls and see what it is. For good measure you could then remove the lid entirely (if you can find something to support the MAF) and see what it is without the restriction of the lid.

FWIW most setups seem to be within 1-2 kPa of ambient air at WOT. If yours are within that range I would not expect to gain anything with the lid swap. If yours is higher than that with the lid but removing the lid drops it, you will see some gains.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, I have HPT. Here's a partial log from this past June where I intentionally exaggerated the scaling of the Barometer vs MAP to make it easier to interpret. I didn't take measurements without the lid, but it shouldn't be a problem to stabilize the MAF (which has a Saxon flow straightener in it) in my current setup. Do you think I should try it w/o the lid, or is there enough shown here to say do it?

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  59.9 KB
Old 08-11-2015, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you are going to gain much. I run the 85mm lid and only see a 1-2kpa drop at wot on the map.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my tuner said i wouldnt gain much if anything. they do look nice though.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Yes, I have HPT. Here's a partial log from this past June where I intentionally exaggerated the scaling of the Barometer vs MAP to make it easier to interpret. I didn't take measurements without the lid, but it shouldn't be a problem to stabilize the MAF (which has a Saxon flow straightener in it) in my current setup. Do you think I should try it w/o the lid, or is there enough shown here to say do it?

I think you would gain by uncorking the intake a bit. IDK if that would be from a lid swap or what but your reading 95kpa at wot and ambient it 101. IIRC whigham was reading 96kpa on his old build, pulled the tb plumbing and made 8whp more on the next pull when the tb could get 101kpa ambient air.

Thats not even at the top of the pull so it may be even worse in a few hundred more rpm
Old 08-11-2015, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Even though the cursor is not at the peak RPM of the pull, you can see the top of the pull, the ambient is 103kPa through the entire pull and the MAP is bouncing between mid-to-upper 90's kPa at the top end of the pull before it hits the limiter. I think I'll try one.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Its not overly expensive, why not. Sell your old to offset the cost.

Quick Reply: Would I benefit from a larger lid?