Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much HP gain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how much HP gain?

im wondering how much HP i can gain from adding headers, cam, ls9 lifters, wideband 02 kit, high flow cats, arp head studs, ported heads, pushrods and valve springs? thanks! this is for a 2004 pontiac gto 5.7L Ls1
Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Teching In

First welcome to the site. Second, use the search function. I mean really use it. There are so many combinations already listed on here. Third, you are not specific enough in your question for most people on here (cam size, header size/type, etc.) I don't think anyone will post "you'll gain x amount of HP with that combo" like I'm assuming you want to hear. Is this a street/strip radical build? daily driver with AC and power everything? I hope you see where I'm going with this.

There's some truly impressive builds/ information on the site. I hope none of what I says comes off offensive, unwelcoming, or sarcastic. Just remember, use the search function! But if you REALLY want to hear an approximate number, ~100-125HP should be easily obtainable. YMMV
Old 08-17-2015, 10:52 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi023
im wondering how much HP i can gain from adding headers, cam, ls9 lifters, wideband 02 kit, high flow cats, arp head studs, ported heads, pushrods and valve springs? thanks! this is for a 2004 pontiac gto 5.7L Ls1
I guess that depends on what headers, what camshaft, which valve springs, who ports the heads, which intake, and the tune.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Need specifics
Old 08-18-2015, 05:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Way general question, but those Ls9 lifters should ad a ton.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Way general question, but those Ls9 lifters should ad a ton.
Naaa. I think the arp studs will add the most.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wide band=tune i assume?
Old 08-18-2015, 06:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
wide band=tune i assume?
Waste of money, if he plans on tuning the car himself(which it doesn't sound like he is) just get hptuners. Id save the three or four hundred bucks for a dyno tune.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi023
OK, we had our fun. Now, here is some reading to get you started. Welcome to the hobby. Now, hold on to your check book... Cocaine would be less addicting and cheaper.

........Recommended reading:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...questions.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html

.........Once you get through those, here is some more advanced reading materials:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-me-first.html

So, how much you gain depends on many things, but it's the combination of parts that determines the results. So, you can't just say "I'll get 25 from the headers, 40 from the cam, 20 from the heads, 30 from the intake, so that's 115 HP gain"

Different cams will yield different levels of performance with different compromises. Headers will basically give you enough to cancel out the AC compressor on a stock engine, but on a head, cam, intake engine, they could be worth over 40HP vs the stock manifolds.

The first thing you should decide is the heads. They are the most expensive part of the build, but they are also the foundation. Once you settle on the heads, then you choose a cam that is well matched for those heads. However, you need to know about where you'll be cam-wise to determine the desired compression ratio to get the most out of it. Then, you choose springs, lifters, and pushrods based on the cam and RPM range you will be using. If you want it to be a very fast DD, then add even more dollars for higher end, more durable parts. Intake, you can pretty much bank on a FAST 102 working well for any combination, as well as 1-7/8 x 32" x 3" headers.

I know that's a lot to soak in, but I learned an expensive lesson I'm trying to save you:

My first go at this, my car dyno'd baseline 285 bone stock. I had a local speed shop port the stock heads for a decent price, picked up a 224-ish cam off craigslist, 918 beehive springs, kept the stock lifters, BBK aluminum intake, hand ported stock throttle body, and long tube headers. The car dyno'd 350 and ran like stir fried monkey *********. It wouldn't rev past 5500 to save my life, pinged like crazy (I had to use two bottles of lucas octane booster per gas tank)

Kip at cam motion helped me out getting a better cam in there - and one that was actually on center - and the pinging stopped, the car would finally rev, and the dyno read 370.

So, then I realized I had to start all over if I really wanted the car to run a certain way, so I called Tony Mamo. The rest is linked in my signature. The bottom line is I'd have spent far less money to just call Tony than to try to cobble an engine together without forethought and planning. I should be close to a 200 HP gain over stock when I get this build measured.

SO, you see the answer to your original question is - could be 65HP gain, could be 200 HP gain. Depends on the overall combination of parts and what you're willing to spend to get there.

Sorry for the book. I really am trying to help point you in the right direction
Old 08-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Now, hold on to your check book... Cocaine would be less addicting and cheaper.
So true. Good advice about everything though.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Figure out how much you can spend. That will determine your parts and how much you will gain.

Quick Reply: how much HP gain?