Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "new" pacesetter install experience.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My "new" pacesetter install experience.

For those that don't want to read the whole thing, here are some key points.
  • The headers are great qualifty
  • The ypipe fitment still sucks or combination of how the ypipe and headers join up suck(more later)
  • Do they press the stupid dipstick in with a hydraulic press or what?
  • Ypipe design sucks

Stock stuff removal
1. Ypipe came off no problem.
2. then came the cats(most of the bolts broke, no suprise and not too difficult)
3. Air and egr came right off.
4. the passenger side is a little tricky on the back coil pack and manifold bolts
5. The oil dipstick put up a fight. Finally ended up prying the lip with a screwdriver and working it out.

Header install
1. Cleaned the heads/gaskets with degreaser
2. applied the orange high temp sealant
3. with the help of a friend got the headers started(did not have to remove anything. The driver side squeeked past the steering shaft.

notes: These headers would make life alot easier downstream if the collector were just a 1/2 inch shorter. There is barely any room for a y pipe.

Ypipe install
1. would not fit in stock exhaust. Used a pipe expander and impach wrench.
2. The I pipe is too long. But really, it appear sthat Y pipes that connects to the headers are too long. Or if they were to expand the pipe further for more adjustment, it would have worked alot better and the brackets would have lined up. Nothing lined up very well.
3. the ypipe has a terrible design that does NOT promot scavenging. That is not secret to many.
4. I understand why they crush the pipe for clearance. But, crush the entire pipe. This ypipe must suck for flow. It would flow alot more if there weren't so many size transistions. A fully crushed pipe(oval) would outflow this pipe easily.

Overall, I am happy. I may switch to an xpipe true dual if I ever have a chance.

All for now, I may add more later.

DEE