Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 WS6 Clutch and other things

Old 08-28-2015, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 WS6 Clutch and other things

Hello Everyone,

I have an 02 WS6 and the clutch is jacking up. Pedal sticking to the flow, you pump it a couple times in might be good for changing gears one or two times then messes up again. So im i going to have to replace the entire clutch or is it something different. We bleed and changed the dot 3 last winter and the car stayed in the garage until this spring. Its not a daily driver by any means. Over the winter from the vehicle sitting almost 7 years I plan on changing/upgrading the breaks and rotors and suspension. So any suggestions on what companies I should look at and parts would be great info.

Thanks
Derek
Attached Thumbnails 02 WS6 Clutch and other things-dsc00300.jpg  
Old 08-28-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Is it still the original clutch?
Old 08-28-2015, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

I've had good luck with the tick master, new gm slave and monster stage 3 clutch. Ran a centerforce dual friction when I had bolt ons and it was a solid clutch.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

check with sam strano for suspension needs.

an ls7 clutch is good depending on what kind of power youre making.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 02 WS6 Clutch and other things

I would at least do a monster stage two clutch. Drives like stock and you can grow into it
Old 08-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Everything is original. I was looking at the monster stage 2 or 3. Im sure stage 2 would work just fine. Curious about what you guys would recommend for rotors and brakes.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

brembos are nice if you can afford them.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Havoc615
Everything is original. I was looking at the monster stage 2 or 3. Im sure stage 2 would work just fine. Curious about what you guys would recommend for rotors and brakes.
I have a S3. It was a bit overkill, but I like it. Can be a tad chattery and sometimes makes rubbing noises. Drive it like you hate your rear axle and the clutch is fine. S2 would be milder.

Also, don't assume your stock master will work well with an upgraded clutch. If you get the kit from tick make sure to get the remote bleeder.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Already was looking to replace everything clutch wise so I wouldnt run into issues. I have been looking at the brembos. Overall, I plan on getting a lot of needed upgrades/replacement parts over the winter. The car is a garage queen. I think more parts have been jacked up from sitting over the years then actual normal wear and tear
Old 08-31-2015, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Havoc615
Clutch pedal sticking to the floor was one of the symptoms I had as well... your clutch is going and it's time to get a new one.
I've run both the Monster Stage 2 and Monster Stage 3 in my WS6 and I love them both. When I had the engine swapped I swapped from Stage 2 to Stage 3 only because I plan on going with FI later and had it all apart so it was a good time to swap. For my current 420rwhp the Stage 2 was perfect... drove like stock. Do not go stage 3 unless you plan on making very serious power.. it's not the most fun in traffic.

The easiest brake upgrade is to go with C5 corvette brakes. A simple adapter is all you need to make it work ( pretty much a bolt on swap ). Easily available locally. I picked up a complete set of C5 Z06 calipers and rotors for $500.00
Old 09-01-2015, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When my pedal was sticking to the floor after high RPM shifts, a Tick Master fixed the issue. Now my stock clutch is back to performing well again.

Many people have created threads about this and gone through changing a clutch while keeping the stock master cylinder...only to come out with the same issue.

If you have the money, I would change both (master/clutch) at once, including getting the speed bleeder. If you don't have the money all at once, I would get the Tick master (and speed bleeder) first because it's cheaper, and has solved the sticky pedal for me and many others. If that doesn't fix the issue, then you can work on getting a clutch while being happy that you've already eliminated the MC/speed bleeder work later on.

Having done only the master and speed bleeder earlier this year, I now wish I would have done a new clutch at the same time, since I'm about to add more power. But my issue was fixed and the car is fun to drive again, so I can't complain.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by BREWS02WS6
If you have the money, I would change both (master/clutch) at once, including getting the speed bleeder. If you don't have the money all at once, I would get the Tick master (and speed bleeder) first because it's cheaper, and has solved the sticky pedal for me and many others. If that doesn't fix the issue, then you can work on getting a clutch while being happy that you've already eliminated the MC/speed bleeder work later on.
This is very commonly what is needed. There is an adjuster mechanism on the stock PP that will get weak over time, and it won't provide the return pressure for the master. Sometimes a sticking master is a bad master, and other times its the PP. It is not unusual to need a complete kit as described above to get the clutch right again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 WS6 Clutch and other things