Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh, choosing warranty friendly bolt-ons...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 04:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugh, choosing warranty friendly bolt-ons...

Hi folks,

My car ran 13.26 bone stock (2.04 60'), and my only goal is to get to 12.50 or better on basic boltons.. I just added a flowtech 3" cutout on the stock SS exhaust, and ordered an SLP 2001-2002 lid... I should have nitto 555R's within the next week, as well. Those combined could bring me to a 12.90, right? Now comes the fun part: what should I do next that won't void my whole warranty?

I still can't decide if I should invest money into an SSRA or FTRA setup. From the looks of things, most people don't really notice a big enough gain (maybe a tenth?) to justify spending $160 or more on one of these cold air kits. I'm skeptical.. I'm wondering if I should just start saving for long tubes (looking at Kooks or QTP), which after a tune are probably worth .5 off my time.

I know longtubes give great gains, but have any of you with warranties ever gone to the dealership with longtubes (or other boltons) and been refused service? That's my biggest fear. I want the mods, but not at the expense of my warranty. The car is still my daily driver (just passing 21K miles) and I know my 4L60E won't last me forever...

Looking forward to hearing anyone's advice on the subject...
Old 06-09-2004, 05:43 AM
TECH Veteran

I think you will be ok with the SSRA or FTRA but some dealership's might not cover your car if it has header's. If you put pulley's I don't think they will notice. But I guess it depend's on the dealership some might cover it some might not.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:24 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

before you spend any money talk to your dealership about warrenty issues. they all apply different rules so while we can tell you one thing, they might tell you another. and its there opinion that is most important.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

they cover mine at the dealership. i called and talked to the shop foreman and asked him and he said mo problem. my car has 18,000 miles and i wanted to make sure. i took it to the dealership awhile back to replace the window motor and he asked if i had put a cam in. i was like no. he told me if i want i can let them put a blower on and they will still cover it. only if they put it on though.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You get what you negotiate.

For example, my dealership agreed to honor the
powertrain warranty front-back after my converter
install, with the exception of the converter itself
(non-GM) as consideration for me giving them the
TC installation labor business. Since the price was
not any different than the tranny shop down the
road, I went for that.

But show up with some ultra-modded strip car
that they never got dime one from, complaining