Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will LT's cause me to lose significant low end torgue??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will LT's cause me to lose significant low end torgue??

some time this summer i really want to do LT's, preferably kooks or qtp's, but ive read in a few places that i would lose low end torque, is this true?
i really dont want to go internal now, and probably never will but i want some more power, and more power off the line is always good...i dont want to drop $800+ on headers then feel like i lost power down low

any advice greatly appreciated...
THANKS
Old 06-09-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt...
Old 06-10-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

no, unless you intentionally go way too big (2"+) on the primaries. just a regular set of 1 3/4 should gain you power all throughout the rpm band
Old 06-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02blackws679ta
some time this summer i really want to do LT's, preferably kooks or qtp's, but ive read in a few places that i would lose low end torque, is this true?
i really dont want to go internal now, and probably never will but i want some more power, and more power off the line is always good...i dont want to drop $800+ on headers then feel like i lost power down low

any advice greatly appreciated...
THANKS
It's a function of backpressure. If you go too big on your primaries, you lose backpressure which a stock LS1 likes a little bit of. If you kept a y-pipe setup and got 1 3/4" you should see 20-25rwhp and 20-25rwtq throughout the entire powerband. If you get a few more cubes in there, or H/C, you might want to upgrade your headers or go to a true dual setup, or both, but for basic bolt-ons, LT's won't cost you any torque. And Kooks or QTP's are indeed great headers - you get what you pay for.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks all
thats the answer i was looking for
Old 06-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Some headers are different than other. I had SLPs and just swapped them out for Kooks, both with cats. The SLPs definitely had more low end power than the Kooks, BUT I can say that the Kooks make more up top over the SLPs. Weird. There are tradeoffs with everything man. As for your question, from manifolds to LTs, you'll have more power everywhere from the swap.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by X-JeSSter
It's a function of backpressure. If you go too big on your primaries, you lose backpressure which a stock LS1 likes a little bit of.
this old again .......backpressure is NEVER good.....

you want velocity which comes from having a pipe JUST large enough to give the REQUIRED flow and nothing more but this is hard to hit so you just try to be in the ballpark (not on the pitchers mound)...

Most LT headers will actually gain low end if they are not too large. 1 3/4" works well for most cars (won't be too big)...depending on how radical you will go on things you could go up to stepped.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:18 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
this old again .......backpressure is NEVER good.....

you want velocity which comes from having a pipe JUST large enough to give the REQUIRED flow and nothing more but this is hard to hit so you just try to be in the ballpark (not on the pitchers mound)...

Most LT headers will actually gain low end if they are not too large. 1 3/4" works well for most cars (won't be too big)...depending on how radical you will go on things you could go up to stepped.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
Old 06-11-2004, 06:31 PM

I gained Hp in all RPM ranges when I did my Kooks Stainless steel headers with Magnaflow cats.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

One thing that hasn't really been touched upon here is the fact that (everything else being equal) its actually the short tube headers that emphasize top end gains. Long tubes or midlengths tend to promote low-midrange power.

I remember an old dyno chart that Tony posted a long time ago comparing his Macs to FLP's. The top end was slightly higher, but there were huge gains (~20rwhp) in the midrange.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:14 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
One thing that hasn't really been touched upon here is the fact that (everything else being equal) its actually the short tube headers that emphasize top end gains. Long tubes or midlengths tend to promote low-midrange power.

I remember an old dyno chart that Tony posted a long time ago comparing his Macs to FLP's. The top end was slightly higher, but there were huge gains (~20rwhp) in the midrange.
i also saved a graph from another member comparing his macs to LT's. the makes made similar peak but the LT's had more under the curve and he gained some tenths and a mph at the track with the LT's. graph is in the exhaust guide.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fulton 1

........thus the reason why top fuel guys have those 6" long pipes the stick up in the air
Old 06-12-2004, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I gained Hp in all RPM ranges when I did my Kooks Stainless steel headers with Magnaflow cats.
Not a flame but didn't you once say the magnaflow catback cost you like 18 horsepower? Why do you still have it?
Old 06-23-2004, 06:03 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

Kooks 1 3/4 would be a perfect set up for you. I would be very suprised if you didn't see HP gains across the board. I wouldn't look into 1 7/8 or bigger unless you do plan to make internal changes. If you are still looking for a set let me know & I have them in stock & will get you a good price.