Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People with Ported TB. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default People with Ported TB. Worth it?

If I do this, it will be the very last mod I do to the car. I have a cam , intake and headers with stock heads. I was just a little hesitant about the gains from this. I've heard 5-8rwhp and 'better throttle response.' Can everyone vouch for this? I want to do it because it will be around $150 total shipped and if I gain even 6rwhp that is pretty cheap. I hardly race anymore but if I do it is nice to have that edge (this is probably good for 3ft) and I know I won't feel 5-8hp. So what is this 'better throttle response' I keep hearing about and is it worth it?
Old 06-10-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's well worth it I port my stock T/B and I could feel the difference, with your mods you should see a good gain and throttle response will be alot better which means the car will react better or quicker when you jump into the throttle.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Banned

You WILL feel the difference, atleast in throttle response. Meaning on initial tip-in (just crusing around) the car will feel more powerful with the same amount of pedal.

My ported/powdercoated TB runs $130 + shipping.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:13 PM

I have one and feel no difference. Have not had time to get it on the dyno yet. it was cheap, but I probably would not get it if I had it to do over. Unless I see dyno gains. We'll see.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a difference in throttle response... seems to react faster to mashing down the go pedal.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SStolen
If I do this, it will be the very last mod I do to the car. I have a cam , intake and headers with stock heads. I was just a little hesitant about the gains from this. I've heard 5-8rwhp and 'better throttle response.' Can everyone vouch for this? I want to do it because it will be around $150 total shipped and if I gain even 6rwhp that is pretty cheap. I hardly race anymore but if I do it is nice to have that edge (this is probably good for 3ft) and I know I won't feel 5-8hp. So what is this 'better throttle response' I keep hearing about and is it worth it?
Every little bit helps once you get to your point. You can tell a difference. Better air flow. better times.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill preface this by saying I had mine done by a buddy locally. Did the bumpstop mod also. It was a thing of beauty to look at. But I saw no difference at the track in mph. I stay away from the seat of the pants dyno. It has fooled me before. Some of the guys that do them on this site might have other tricks to get better results. But I personally didnt see a gain. My .02
Old 06-10-2004, 07:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

seeing that you have a cam and intake id say yes its definetly worth it ,
on a stock car itspreferance, i have one myslef but did it with the intake . ive seen a few cars with a tb and intake swap gain over 20rwhp . its probbly worth 8-10 tops by itself
Old 06-10-2004, 08:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the throttle response stuff is all
psychological. But it's got to improve top
end airflow especially when you fill the
PCV/IAC ports and shave that lip. And
at the price of a package of JB-Weld
and a couple of hours all told, it is I think
the most worthwhile of the "free" mods.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Loss 1-2 tenths from jantzer ported t/b, from a 12.6 to 12.40 Its worth the $130 dollars that I spent. plus it looks .
Old 06-10-2004, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Hey Jantzer, how long of a wait is it for one of yours?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:06 PM
Banned

By this coming monday I will be 100% caught up with all my TB orders. Turnaround should be back to less than a week....

Also, all TB's are definately not created equal. The better throttle response isn't psychological..... what happens is at part throttle the blade/TB lets FAR more air in the engine than it would normally and therefor the engine creates more power and reacts quicker to initial tip-in.

I will be out of town the rest of the week/weekend but will return monday.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Not to bash the sponsors at all, but I bought a unit from a sponsor that cut the throttle blade and this caused a high idle and SES lights on my A4, I talked to Mark Shaner, great guy, and he said this allows too much flow and can cause problems. I threw his S3 on and it ran perfectly first time out. The polishing job was simply amazing.I tried the others 5 TIMES wit bad luck! Shaner rocks!
Old 06-12-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Really like my Janzter TB!
Old 06-12-2004, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

i did not notice any difference with mine on dyno but i know it helps when u driving . fms did the drilling on mine , if the hole is to big it makes car idle high like that . my stock tb had to big hole car idle like stock .
Old 06-12-2004, 03:41 PM

If there is no difference on the dyno, you will se mine up for sale.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would think sponsers and people who make these would fork out $50 to dyno a car before and after to post results. I would do one on a stock car, cam car and head/cam car listing all of the different mods. I'm not even sure I'm gonna gain 4rwhp. I'm just tired of throwing my money away. I always get carried away with the mods on this car and I spend money on it like its water. For some reason $150 seems cheap to me when it comes to adding hp and looking nice but its alot of cash when your holding it in your hand. Then I remind myself that I have to work two days to make that much money and for what... 4 hp? Doesn't seem worth it now. (I KNOW I'll end up getting one.) Jantzer, I plan on buying yours, talk me into it man. People have to call you with results.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just installed a jantzer one, tip is def better, but then i got bigger wheels and 275 tires(used to have 16inch/245s) so i kinda lost some power, but im not sure if this is normal, but once my car gets over 2600rpm or so, the damn thing just pulls like a monster, almost like someone flipped a switched. It wasnt that brutal before if you know what i mean, so i this mod def helps as the rpms climb. If you see the product, you will see how smooth it is. I know if i add an ls6 intake, i will notice a def big diff.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dear John
Not to bash the sponsors at all, but I bought a unit from a sponsor that cut the throttle blade and this caused a high idle and SES lights on my A4, I talked to Mark Shaner, great guy, and he said this allows too much flow and can cause problems. I threw his S3 on and it ran perfectly first time out. The polishing job was simply amazing.I tried the others 5 TIMES wit bad luck! Shaner rocks!
I have the S3 and I love it. It is ported very well. Mark is a great person to deal with too.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike98WS6
I have the S3 and I love it. It is ported very well. Mark is a great person to deal with too.
I'm gonna order an S3 as well. Those of you who ordered a ported throttle body, did you send in your original for porting, or did you have a ported TB sent to you? Just curious...