Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 LS1 from non ASR car into 1998 LS1 ASR car question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 LS1 from non ASR car into 1998 LS1 ASR car question

So I need some help guys. I just recently finished my engine swap in my 98 camaro with the engine/trans/ecu from a 2000 LS1 from a z28 camaro. This is my first engine swap of any kind and I am pleased to report that the engine runs great! That is, until you press on the gas pedal at all.

Some important info:
-My 1998 Camaro Z28 has ASR/TCS
-Im guessing(I never checked) that the car i pulled the engine from was non-ASR/TCS.
-When I manually move the throttle, the engine revs normally and returns to the fully closed position.
-When I push the pedal, the throttle blade is left open a bit enough to cause the RPMs to sit at about 3500.
-I noticed that the ASR unit itself stops spinning with about an inch of space between the point where the throttle blade would close fully.
-No matter how I adjust the cables using those clips, I cannot get the ASR unit to fully return to the closed position.

Can anyone suggest a best course of action here? I am to understand that if I get the cable from a non-ASR car, that the ABS system is tied into the ASR. So is there any way I can keep the ASR in this system? I am also to understand that there is a difference between the cables for the years 98-99(00?) and the 00-02.

Could I get the entire ASR unit and cables from a 2000-2002 and just use that? Because this was a non-ASR ECU, would it not function? Do I have to get the cables from a non-ASR car?

Thanks in advance guys. I normally post over at one of the other forums since my DD is an LT1 but I figured this might be a better place to post about this specific issue.

Quick Reply: 2000 LS1 from non ASR car into 1998 LS1 ASR car question