Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7 Intake options

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM7 Intake options

Hey guys....I have a 2002 5.3 from a Suburban, and I wanted to know what intake options would be best for me. I am swapping it into a 67 Chevelle and the mods I am considering are: cam upgrade ( not sure which one would be best yet), headers....

I wanted to know what intake would be best...LS! like from a camaro or a LS6 intake.....and not sure what parts have to come on the intake OR would some of the parts off my truck intake work on the other?? Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Teching In

I guess on question would be if I bought a bare intake from like a 98 and up Camaro, will all the parts off the truck intake transfer over...throttle body, fuel rails,etc..
Old 11-22-2015, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well that intake would be a great step BACKWARDS from the intake that came on the 5.3l.
The early truck intake you have is VERY nearly as good as the LS6, the only reason to consider replacing a truck intake with an LS6 is fitment or aesthetics.
The later truck intake often referred to as TBSS intake(TrailBlazer SS) but was the standards 4.8/5.3/6.0 intake on new style 07 and later is an upgrade and a step up over LS6.

The stuff you will read about the truck intake being for "torque" is just bull spouted by the car guys that can't admit the truck piece is just better period, makes more power everywhere vs. the LS1 intake, it was designed a couple years later with "lessons learned" and had basically unlimited space to work with.
The car intake also makes using the cheap truck accessories harder.

Basically if there is room and aesthetics are OK by you use the truck one.
The following users liked this post:
scout2000 (07-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2015, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

Even that LM7 truck intake is better than a LS6 intake..... it's just ugly and need hood clearance. However there is a thread on here on how to make that intake look better.

However a TBSS makes like 15 horse more than a truck intake but they coat a lot more when compared to a basic truck intake.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Well that intake would be a great step BACKWARDS from the intake that came on the 5.3l.
The early truck intake you have is VERY nearly as good as the LS6, the only reason to consider replacing a truck intake with an LS6 is fitment or aesthetics.
The later truck intake often referred to as TBSS intake(TrailBlazer SS) but was the standards 4.8/5.3/6.0 intake on new style 07 and later is an upgrade and a step up over LS6.

The stuff you will read about the truck intake being for "torque" is just bull spouted by the car guys that can't admit the truck piece is just better period, makes more power everywhere vs. the LS1 intake, it was designed a couple years later with "lessons learned" and had basically unlimited space to work with.
The car intake also makes using the cheap truck accessories harder.

Basically if there is room and aesthetics are OK by you use the truck one.
Well......glad I asked some questions after all. I'm not really worried about fitment or asthetics...just had heard the ls1 intake was better, which I now know was some BS.. What I really wanna do is get more HP out of the motor, without breaking the bank! Is there some advise you can allow about cam upgrade, etc, that wouldn't require me robbing a bank??LOL Thanks again for the heads up on the intake.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Even that LM7 truck intake is better than a LS6 intake..... it's just ugly and need hood clearance. However there is a thread on here on how to make that intake look better.

However a TBSS makes like 15 horse more than a truck intake but they coat a lot more when compared to a basic truck intake.
+1

Pretty much all the data I have read on this site supports this. Here's a couple of pics of my shaved truck intake. Its a bit dirty here, but looks pretty good cleaned up. Installed in my 1970 Scout.
Attached Thumbnails LM7 Intake options-drivers-side.png   LM7 Intake options-pass-side.png  
Old 11-25-2015, 06:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

That's one good looking motor you have there Scout.
The following users liked this post:
scout2000 (10-09-2020)
Old 11-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
That's one good looking motor you have there Scout.
Thank you sir.

I pulled those valve covers out of the trash as my fabricator's shop, cleaned them up in the parts cleaner then took them down to the powder coat shop. From their, they (powder coat shop) performed miracles. They look really good IMHO up close.

Quick Reply: LM7 Intake options