Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 alternator on LS1

Old 12-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 alternator on LS1

Hey guys, I saw that huge thread about fixing alternator problems with the 5.3 145 amp alternators, and had a couple questions I need to know quick to get it on. I have an alternator off of my sisters wrecked '04 Tahoe, and I've looked over it a little and it looks like it will go in pretty easy. My car has a turbo, and the alternator has been relocated to the top of the motor on the passenger side, making it easy to get to. It currently has a 4 pin connector with a single red wire coming out of the back, will this work? I know the plug will fit, but will the larger alternator be too much for the single red wire? Also, should I run another wire from the post on the back of the alternator directly to the positive battery terminal? Car is a 2000 Camaro SS btw. Thanks, Logan.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSLogan
Hey guys, I saw that huge thread about fixing alternator problems with the 5.3 145 amp alternators, and had a couple questions I need to know quick to get it on. I have an alternator off of my sisters wrecked '04 Tahoe, and I've looked over it a little and it looks like it will go in pretty easy. My car has a turbo, and the alternator has been relocated to the top of the motor on the passenger side, making it easy to get to. It currently has a 4 pin connector with a single red wire coming out of the back, will this work? I know the plug will fit, but will the larger alternator be too much for the single red wire? Also, should I run another wire from the post on the back of the alternator directly to the positive battery terminal? Car is a 2000 Camaro SS btw. Thanks, Logan.
You'll be fine. That small red wire is the exciter wire for the alt. It's the same on either the 105 amp or the 145 amp. I added a 2ga wire from the alt output post to the pos+ terminal to better handle the increased output when I swapped to the truck alt in my 98. Do it, it's a worthwhile upgrade, plus you get the benefit of the two long bolts instead of one long and one short.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3 alternator on LS1