Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start/no crank situation

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No start/no crank situation

Ok, so today I drove the car to O'Reilly auto to buy some stuff to work on the PCV system on the car (the rubber 'y' tube was rotted/broken). Well, got the PCV stuff taken care of. Went to crank the car, I hear a click but nothing else. I have full power, battery has plenty of charge. I hear the relay and starter solenoid do a single click, but that's it. Trying to figure out if I bumped something when pulling the PCV hoses out or if its indeed just a bad starter. I have not been able to get under the car to ground the starter yet. I've checked and double checked the battery connections and even pulled them completely off to check and make sure there wasn't any corrosion. I even hooked up a 100 amp jump box and still nothing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, its not a VATS or clutch switch issue; the security light goes off when i put the key in, and when i leave the clutch pedal up, I dont get a relay/solenoid click or anything but I do when the clutch is pressed in.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Give the starter a few tappety-taps with a hammer...I have a feeling your starter has a bad spot in the armature...Ideally, have someone put the key in the start position while you whack the starter...
Old 12-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ardavis78
Give the starter a few tappety-taps with a hammer...I have a feeling your starter has a bad spot in the armature...Ideally, have someone put the key in the start position while you whack the starter...
its kinda hard to get under the car... guess i'm gonna have to get a really long pry bar and thread it between the headers to the starter.

I've been noticing lately, it seems like the car struggles to turn over like the battery is weak, yet it holds 12.4v hours after the car has been ran, so i really don't think the battery is weak at all. Seems like the starter is probably on it's way out the door.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Good call!...Sweet talk someone with a lift maybe...Give it a couple raps...
Old 12-27-2015, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had similar problems, it was the battery + terminal. The plastic terminal cover is a really bad design, it can cause a poor connection even with no obvious corrosion, I cut it off completely. With a bad connection you can still have solenoid work, but starter motor can't draw enough current.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rugbyguitargod
I've been noticing lately, it seems like the car struggles to turn over like the battery is weak, yet it holds 12.4v hours after the car has been ran, so i really don't think the battery is weak at all. Seems like the starter is probably on it's way out the door.
Not a good test at all. If you string enough AA batteries together you'll get 12v all day long. Take the battery over to Autozone (or where ever) and get a load test.

While the battery is out, carefully inspect all cables and connections. Peel the insulation back a little bit, and look for corrosion. Even a loose connection at the alternator will keep it from starting.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Problem resolved. It was indeed the starter in a bad spot. I push-started the car yesterday. When it cranked, i barely tapped the ignition switch to the 'crank' position to jar the starter. It has been cranking fine ever since.

Quick Reply: No start/no crank situation