Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Harmonic Balancer ???

Old 01-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Harmonic Balancer ???

I pulled the LS6 out of my 2001 Z06 Vette today and noticed the balancer fee spins.
I'm thinking this is not normal.
The center part with the bolt didn't turn but the otter part that the belt rides on spins without much effort at all.
How would the engine even run with the balancer not working?
Or rather how would it drive any accessories?
the outer part also moves in and out.

The back story is I bought the carfrom the PO after it had lost all power going down the road and it was popping and sputtering throught the intake.
So when this happened the PO lparked the car for a year and a half and this is where I bought the car. I trailered the car home and got it running but it was a stuggle to get it runnung because the engine acted like it didn't want to turn over.
But when I jumped it off it would crank but still sluggish. So I did a compression test and the #6 cylinder was down to 120 the rest were at 190.
So I pulled the right head and then pulled the lifters and found a bad lifter on the #6 exhaust. I then went ahead and pulled the engine and that is when I noticed the HB would free spin.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks, Joe
Old 01-06-2016, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Time for a new balancer!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Broken balancer sounds like, any pics of it? I would think it would fall off if it spins like that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock Harmonic Balancer ???